The LSE died today...

See how the FTSE indices flat-lined for 7 hours: http://finance.google.co.uk/finance

OMG BRUTAL!! Ahahaha that sucks. Well I’m moving to London in T-9 days and my job prospects just got even worse. Maybe I should look for a job in IT hehehe http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/money/2008/09/08/bcnlse608.xml

The LSE? Who cares. What about Brady!?!

I’m just really sad about Tom Brady’s injury. Sniff. I hope Bill Belicheck isn’t too sad. Sniff.

The situation is not really good in london at the moment…the job market sucks!

Tom Brady who??? I had to google it. He plays the game you call “football” yet his job is to throw the ball to someone who then has to catch it. That makes a lot of sense. Who actually cares about American sport other than Americans anyway? To be honest nobody outside America knows who Tom Brady is yet you probably think he is one of the most famous people on the planet. Yet when it comes to team sports I bet 99% of Americans wouldn’t even know the most famous sports stars on the planet. Ever heard of Lionel Messi? Kaka? Cristiano Ronaldo? Robinho? These people are the global stars. Tom Brady who???

rick – you seem to be a football (soccer) fan. I believe everyone who followed the olympics this past month would have heard of and recognize all the names above.

Rick O’Shea Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Brady who??? > > I had to google it. He plays the game you call > “football” yet his job is to throw the ball to > someone who then has to catch it. That makes a > lot of sense. > > Who actually cares about American sport other than > Americans anyway? To be honest nobody outside > America knows who Tom Brady is yet you probably > think he is one of the most famous people on the > planet. > > Yet when it comes to team sports I bet 99% of > Americans wouldn’t even know the most famous > sports stars on the planet. > > Ever heard of Lionel Messi? Kaka? Cristiano > Ronaldo? Robinho? > > These people are the global stars. Tom Brady > who??? Apparently my attempt at sarcasm failed miserably. A little sensitive are we?

Yea the LSE stuff up spilled over to the JSE. The end result was that the JSE stayed open for trading till 19:00.

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > rick – you seem to be a football (soccer) fan. > I believe everyone who followed the olympics this > past month would have heard of and recognize all > the names above. Although only Messi actually played in the olympics, which is an Under 23 tournament (plus one over 23)… But I think most people observe the Americans watching the baseball “World” series and chuckle at their parochial little sports, without necessarily degenerating into head-smacking fury as Rick so impressively managed… But who is Tom Brady?

You mean Ronaldo McDonaldo?

*tumbleweed*

Maybe our sports are lame to you, but good luck next time Germans shell your capital, limesucker!

Lies Americans tell themselves #531: the US beat the Germans in WWII. Truth: They beat the Japs, but had little to do with beating the Germans. That was the Soviets. The Nazis had lost the war once Operation Barbarossa failed. That had stalled by December 1941, when the yanks finally got round to being the fearless defenders of freedom they now see themselves as. Only after they had themselves been attacked of course. And of course Operation Sealion had been shelved way back in 1940 after the Battle of Britain. Where were the Americans then?

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Lies Americans tell themselves #531: the US beat > the Germans in WWII. > > Truth: They beat the Japs, but had little to do > with beating the Germans. That was the Soviets. Ehh… this is not really correct. The Soviets had a major role, but the Americans did as well. Hitler should have known better than to fight a two front war. He possibly (probably) could have defeated either side alone, but not both at once coming from two different directions. Both the Soviets and the Americans played decisive roles in that respect. But more importantly, Germany defeated Germany in WWII. Hitler very stupidly (in hindsight, of course) decided to shelf development of the Messerschmidt (I butchered that spelling), which eventually became the first jet fighter. It was totally unstoppable at the end of the war, but they only managed to produce a few dozen or so before Germany lost. If Germay had developed a viable jet fighter several years earlier like they could have, they would have smashed everyone. Good thing that did not happen.

Without US and Allies aid, Russia wouldnt prevail. Yes, US contributed maybe 5-10% on Eastern front, but who knows what would happen if US didnt?

America *shortened* the war, they didn’t win it. That was the Russkies. At a bloody terrible price I might add - 23m Soviet casualties. If you’d like to weigh that against a bit of poxy lend-lease then go ahead. Germany lost by attacking Russia. Wars are won by infantry, not air power. You’d have thought that Americans would have learnt that by now! A jet powered fighter would have made little difference - indeed the brits were also developing the jet engine under Frank Whittle. An atomic bomb might have made a difference. If you chaps hadn’t noticed, D-day was in June 1944, by which time the Red Army was already sweeping back across eastern europe with the Wehrmacht broken. One of the main objectives of the d-day landings was to stop the Red Army at Berlin and hold the Soviets to what they agreed at Yalta - so Uncle Joe wouldn’t carry on to Paris. And a good job they did too. Haven’t you played Command and Conquer Red Alert?

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you chaps hadn’t noticed, D-day was in June > 1944, by which time the Red Army was already > sweeping back across eastern europe with the > Wehrmacht broken. Sorry it took us so long christmaths. Recall that we were busy helping China with a little problem they had at the time (20m casualties- 80% civilian). I guess we could have just let the Russkies liberate Paris. You can belittle America’s involvement in the Allied victory in Europe all you want, but nothing will change the fact that our armed forces batted clean-up for you in 2 world wars, and our sports will always be both more entertaining and profitable than any British-invented sport ever will.

bromion Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > But more importantly, Germany defeated Germany in > WWII. Hitler very stupidly (in hindsight, of > course) decided to shelf development of the > Messerschmidt (I butchered that spelling), which > eventually became the first jet fighter. It was > totally unstoppable at the end of the war… That’s not entirely accurate either. There was an episode of Dogfights on The History Channel where they recreated a fight in which two American fighters (Mustangs, I believe) took out a pair of ME-262’s. Messershmitts were formidable, but I would hardly say they were totally unstoppable…

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > chrismaths Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > our sports > will always be both more entertaining and > profitable than any British-invented sport ever > will. Well, now that’s just plain nonsense.