The Masters

Anyone else losing motivation to study with the Masters on?

i’m losing motivation to live with the study on

Really people - sometimes I just feel like giving up.

It’s called the winners curse! You win but you lose.

GM must have been studying for L2 when he wrote this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQtlrBziyzI

man george michael is such a pimp no homo

swaptiongamma Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Really people - sometimes I just feel like giving > up. I can’t tell you how many times I look at my stack of books and wonder what’s the point. Regardless of the amount of education and training we get, most investment professionals don’t add up to dogsh!t [hence why indexing seems to win in the long run]. Likewise, this finance business feels like such a racket. We don’t do/create anything! We push papers, count money, and rationalize the unexplainable [after the fact of course]. Having read Black Swan and Fooled by Randomness, I now know what point Taleb is driving. I do it cause I like it. I don’t foresee myself doing anything different. But I’ve been rudely awaken to what a crapshoot financial services really is. I was at a bar the other night trying to unwind over a couple of drinks. A blond came up to me and started shooting the breeze, the conversation was quite nice. She was explaining she’s taking a break busting her as$ for the nursing exams. She then mentioned she wishes she would have taken a more financial route in her schooling. Jokingly I told her, “No you don’t, run as far away from it as possible.” We had a good laugh, but I really was only half kidding. End of rant, back to fixed income.

The moment I found out that the program was not meant for me, I wanted to drop out of it. Now I am continuing and finish it till I crush it because of my personal ego. I know 100% that even L3 or L27 or L93 - nothing is going to get me to a place where I want to be.

id rather be golfing right now…

There is always more motivation when the Economy and Markets are doing well and moving in an upward direction.

ditchdigger2CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > swaptiongamma Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Really people - sometimes I just feel like > giving > > up. > > > I can’t tell you how many times I look at my stack > of books and wonder what’s the point. Regardless > of the amount of education and training we get, > most investment professionals don’t add up to > dogsh!t . > > Likewise, this finance business feels like such a > racket. We don’t do/create anything! We push > papers, count money, and rationalize the > unexplainable . > > Having read Black Swan and Fooled by Randomness, I > now know what point Taleb is driving. > > I do it cause I like it. I don’t foresee myself > doing anything different. But I’ve been rudely > awaken to what a crapshoot financial services > really is. I was at a bar the other night trying > to unwind over a couple of drinks. A blond came > up to me and started shooting the breeze, the > conversation was quite nice. She was explaining > she’s taking a break busting her as$ for the > nursing exams. She then mentioned she wishes she > would have taken a more financial route in her > schooling. Jokingly I told her, “No you don’t, > run as far away from it as possible.” We had a > good laugh, but I really was only half kidding. > > End of rant, back to fixed income. Hang in there ditch… Every time I feel this way I pick up bloomberg mag and read an article about some manager (latest one was on the Hedge Fund Brevan Howard - Pretty crazy man, definitely motivates me to work my tail off). I agree with the fact that we are all just money shufflers in essence - but I wouldn’t say that you can’t add value to that process. Maybe not as directly as curing cancer but it’s still possible. Yea, I think we all know were are not “saving the manatees” here. But if you are OK with that - I think if you do what you are interested in (Macro finance for myself, hence FX) you’ll be content. I

OK Tiger is only one back from the lead. I’ll be back later

I’m hanging in there, and I’ll do it since I like it and I have an ego to fulfill (not let CFAI win!). But I’m very tempted venture onto a new path. Until then, this is all I have going for me that is productive.

swaptiongamma Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The moment I found out that the program was not > meant for me, I wanted to drop out of it. Now I am > continuing and finish it till I crush it because > of my personal ego. I know 100% that even L3 or > L27 or L93 - nothing is going to get me to a place > where I want to be. I hear you swaption. I regret ever starting the program really. If I hadn’t passed L1 I would have walked away happily and enrolled in a Masters. But now that I’ve invested so much time in it to get through L1 I feel like I need to keep at it. Plus there’s the challenge I guess.