The most important new car released in 2017

Porsche is really the wrong brand to compare it to though. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/11/2017-genesis-g90-luxury-can-play-competition/

This competition includes the Mercedes Benz S-class sedan, Audi A8 sedan, BMW 7 series sedan and Cadillac CT6. However, the Genesis is impressive with its long list of features and both trims come fully loaded.

I would think that a competitor to the S Class would also compete with the Porsche Panamera, but I guess it’s a matter of opinion.

Anyway, the problem with Genesis is not content. Buyers in this segment do not just care about value - they want brand panache, which Genesis does not provide. Hyundai botched the US release of this brand. It was introduced as something as a budget alternative to BMW or Mercedes. However, no one wants to be seen driving a cheap BMW.

Genesis was originally designed for the South Korean market, where imported cars faced a 150% tax. With these economics considered, Genesis was a clear choice over many foreign cars. In the US, however, it was priced fairly for what it provided to buyers. Unfortunately, the niche for value-luxury cars is where many manufacturers struggle.

If you want to launch a luxury car brand, you must start from the top down. Lexus is the best example. They started with the LS, which was better than S Class and 7 Series of the time. On top of that, it was thousands of dollars cheaper and was far ahead of the Germans in quality and reliability. Even today, you can see first generation LS on the street. Another recent brand copied this and modeled their introduction after Lexus - Tesla.

^ I think the brand name was also a huge mistake, immediately linking it to Hyundai in consumers’ minds. I remember when Lexus was introduced and most people had no idea that it was a Toyota brand. The original LS also was a completely new car, not just a rebranded Toyota.

Yes, but I think the associative harm came from the negative perception towards Korean brands, not from the fact that Hyundai is not a premium brand. Ford GT, Nissan GTR, Honda (Acura) NSX, Toyota Supra, are not negative, but Hyundai is.

Something like that. I hear it depreciates a lot. So you can buy it used for really cheap. So it’s reliable, luxurious and cheap. I am about to finish paying of my e class which I regret cuz it’s expensive. But This is my dream car so I want to ride this until it dies. My next car hopefully will drive itself.

most girls dont even know that its hyundai anyways

when we roll thru vegas in it no one will know.

That 2018 Camry looks nice, but it does have some competition coming:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/516693/new-lada-niva-for-2018-could-it-be/

we riding in a genesis girl, its a new exotic foreign

When Lexus was introduced, there was still a lingering perception that Japanese cars were piece of s h it rust buckets.

lexus resale value is really good though. repair is real cheap as well. my sister drives an rx350.

Yeah I don’t know about Korean brands. I have never driven a Korean car and last time I rented a car I had a choice of Ford, Chevy, or Korean car and picked a Chevy. I have a hesitancy about the brand. But, if they offered a Genesis to me I would have picked it over the Chevy. Buying one? Yeah that’s another matter. I’d rather have a smaller BMW than a Genesis.

Repair is cheap compared to … what, Koenigsegg? I drive a GS430, repairs on which are not cheap. At least compared to my previous car, a '93 V6 Camry.

an e class

I doubt that any Mercedes is “cheap” to repair… maybe relative to Jaguar or something. Of course, E Class is designed with the secondary goal of being a taxi in Germany. So, they probably did prioritize durability, more than most other luxury cars. Apparently, some used E Class in Europe have like 400k miles.