* The Official 2007 Bonus Discussion *

What are 2007 bonuses looking like for you guys (or ’08 comp for that matter)? Any positive or negative signals from upper management yet? The message around here is a little less clear than last year. A year ago, talks were more constructive. Words and phrases like “strong” “very nice” “everyone will be pleased” were thrown around (actual bonuses were solid, but not spectacular imo). This year has been quieter, despite the flow of new business being nearly as strong as last year and above internal goals. Obviously, the market going straight up from July through year end of last year didn’t hurt. This year’s volatility is certainly a factor in their posture. Some of the troops are getting nervous that bonuses are going to come it lite or worse. Bottom line is that my firm’s profitability is way up. Hopefully, we’ll be enjoying the fruits of our labor soon. Bonus discussions are early December for me.

Expecting much higher this year although it is pure speculation on my part… a lot of turnover in my company and have remained loyal, now the number two guy. Hopefully discussions will be soon, it is all I can think about.

Northboston: How long w/ current comp, are you in IB, PM …BO?..workin’ your ladies on the sunset strip?

if i get 1000 bucks, i’ll be happy. last june i think, it was only 950.

Expecting it to be strong to quite strong…but I’m at a different company this year.

Everything will be less due to the credit squeeze. Check out bankersball.com and click on Compensation for the Bonus report. Fixed income is down at least 30%

At my shop, consensus was that comp was light in view of a record year. However, this year is shaping up to be a record year as well…just not the good kind of record, so expectations aren’t too high. I am still a junior person, so I don’t get paid until next July (just got paid), but at this rate, I would be happy if bonuses didn’t fall from what they were last year. I’m on the fixed income side of a large sell side shop, FWIW.

pacliboi04 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Everything will be less due to the credit squeeze. > Check out bankersball.com and click on > Compensation for the Bonus report. Fixed income is > down at least 30% I wonder how much MBS/CDO factors into that calc. Considering the rest of the ABS world is doing decently and companies still need to issue debt, I don’t think all of FI would be affected the same way. We are getting indications of a good environment. Conduit origination.

i’ll be happy with free lunch…

If i get anything less then $50K i will be looking at other options.

Oh bonuses. You guys get those?

They’ll take me out for dinner sometime in December and everyone will joke that that is my bonus. The sad thing is that they’ll all be serious. Alas, the analysts don’t get bonuses around here. That will be my biggest negotiating point come time for next year’s comp though.

I’m in a BO. expecting 2K or so.

The people getting bonuses are primarily the ones working 60-90 hour weeks. So just look at it like “overtime” comp

I’m in eq. research at a bb firm (not MER, BSC, or MS). The whisper number is 85K, but I doubt it.

pimp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in eq. research at a bb firm (not MER, BSC, or > MS). The whisper number is 85K, but I doubt it. Pre- or post-mba?

I don’t have an mba, but I’m at the associate level as I’ve been doing this for years. Based on last year, the number seems likely, but who knows how much will be cut to feed the Fixed Income guys.

Doughnut, as usual.

Hey PIMP you have your CFA Charter? and if you don’t mind me asking how does one get into equity research without MBA/CFA completed just yet…I assume it is extremely competitive…and you need lots of connections!!! I know IB is near impossible to get into unless through school recruitments which is too late for people like myself who have already graduated and in work force? Also if someone exp. is mostly in personal finance, is it very difficult to change to corp.?

N.VanCandidate - the answer is obviously “buy lululemon”