The official Star Wars thread

RIP, Princess Leia.

Carrie Fisher passed away today. Wonder how this will impact the series going forward.

Probably not much. They must have filmed a bunch of the footage for the next movie already. They can just not include her that much afterwards, or use CGI when it’s unavoidable. It’s easy to explain that Leia is just doing some stuff on another planet. Other than Daisy, Kylo Ren and the black guy, the other actors are not too crucial to the story. Too bad Carrie died, anyway.

RIP Carrie Fisher. Apparently her parts for the next installment have already been filmed, though I’m not sure how they will write her out going forward (or how big of a role she plays in the story arc - minor but still a big loss after Han was killed off. Pretty unfortunate to lose both legends in the series).

She was definitely a looker back in the day and her outspokenness was pretty hilarious. It’s a real shame she had to go that way but I guess decisions of the past eventually catch up. She was not my favourite character but it’s definitely a big loss to the Star Wars family. Fun fact she was also Peter’s Boss Angela in family guy. I had no idea!

^Yeah, I think filming is done for Episode 8.

and I don’t know this, but I have a feeling that she dies in Episode 8 anyway. It just seems that Disney is going in that direction. (I feel like Luke is also going to die at some point, too, either in 8 or 9.).

It would not be surprising if they killed Han Solo because Harrison Ford is by far the most famous and expensive actor in the series. Disney is a money monster after all.

Anyway, I do not think that they will kill off any of the other legacy characters is such dramatic fashion. Han’s death mirrored that of Obi Wan in Episode 4, and Liam Neeson in Episode 1. Old mentor guy to main character get’s stabbed by lightsaber in first film of the trilogy. Maybe Luke will “drift away” somehow and become a ghost to avoid the “well, if you are so powerful, why don’t you do everything” kind of issue.

Pretty sure someone’s hand will get chopped off though - that is pretty much a staple at this point.

There was some internet speculation that Luke will pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky. It’s probably baseless, but would be pretty interesting to watch.

Don’t do drugs

Lol, Apparently a segment of Drumf fans are ticked off becoz the ‘good guys’ consist of a feemale, mexican, muslim and two chinese guys where as the ‘bad guys’ are all white men.

movie was shyte except the cameo from vader.

Yeah, because no one ever complains when all the “good guys” are white and the villains are brown.

https://thesocietypages.org/sociologylens/2013/03/28/the-color-of-evil-how-american-media-racializes-villains/

Actually, the least sensitive racial movie casting I saw lately was in “the Martian”, where the Indian character Kapoor was played by a black guy.

Stop being deliberately obtuse.

Ha ha, that guy Vincent? has a line where he says he’s only half and from the West Indies so it makes sense. The funniest I’ve heard is ScaJo playing Ghost in the Shell and then they using CGI to make her look Asian. This is just trolling of the nyah nyah nyah variety now.

I have to consider my audience.

Yes Higgs, you’re right, it’s exactly the same.

^ Try to look past your biases.

Ehh, are you on a wind-up brah? Yes, the next time my mind wanders towards random events I will keep in mind my bias and consider the legitimacy of the indignant White American faction who ignore the bazillion other movies coming out of that country and focus on one of the few ones that brings the ‘other’ America to the fore as some sort of personal insult.

Personally I’m offended how the villains are usually bald guys. Voldemort, Supreme Leader Snoke, Ben Kingsley, the bald guy in the Matrix etc. There any sociological academic studies for this subtle injustice?

#Baldlivesmatter

But Bruce Willis compensates for all of them. So there…

Wow. Debbie Reynolds (Carrie Fisher’s mom) died today.

Ouch. Gonna be a tough week in that family.

Who is ignoring the bazillion other movies? Racism and sexism in Hollywood are institutional and rampant. What you seem incapable of doing, however, is empathizing with anyone who does not share your world view. You dismiss the concerns of Trump supporters simply because they are white and generally better off than black people in this country. You seem ignorant of, or choose to ignore, the fact that while a larger percentage of the black population in the US is poor, the plurality of poor people in the US are white. So, the “typical” poor person in the US is more likely to be white than black, and while that poor white guy doesn’t have the added disadvantage of being the target of societal racism, that doesn’t make the disadvantages he faces any less real and does not invalidate his perceptions of the world around him. If I kick you in the nuts every 30 seconds and kick the guy next to you every 10 seconds, you’re not going to think your life is great because it’s better than the life of the guy next to you, you’re rightfully going to complain about getting kicked in the nuts. If someone comes into the room and tells me I need to stop kicking the other guy but ignores your complaints, or criticizes you for complaining since you are relatively better off, I doubt you’re going to say “Oh yeah, that’s a good point. I’m sorry for complaining about being kicked in the nuts every 30 seconds. I’ll wait here patiently, continuing to get kicked in the nuts every 30 seconds, while you console and try to help that other guy.”

^To be fair, I didn’t get that sentiment at all from Monkey. I just thought it was a casual observation that should have elicited a laugh. (See Higgmond’s signature line for details.)

Vincent Kapoor in the Martian was an explicit Indian guy in the book, called Venkat Kapoor. I guess outright changing his character is better than just casting some actor of a different race. Still, his name is “Kapoor”…