Amazing how such a small group of passionate airheads can help to disrupt a global economy.
I hope you don’t actually believe this…
Look it’s both the President, Repubs and Dems fault for not getting a large enough deal in place and politicizing the debt ceiling vote into a game of chicken.
It’s more that things were already looking precarious, and the Tea Party gave it a big kick just to prove that they could. The European stuff isn’t the Tea Party’s fault, even if they’d really like to blame it on Obama.
It’s not just the Tea Party as S&P stated, it’s our f8cking dysfunctional government!
Every time those auditors and regulators come around and “find fraud”, corporate stocks just drop like a rock. We should get rid of auditors and regulators entirely! Correlation =/= causation.
I agree with Bchad. They are not the sole party responsible, but they did not help things. Obama offered a plan to cut spending, but since it involved tax hikes, Cantor gets up and walks away. Republicans and Tea Party members were so hard set in their position to not raise taxes and compromise. Its a simplistic argument, but I do believe if we had come to a quick debt resolution and simply raised the debt ceiling like we have done a ridiculous amount of time in the past, things would not have gotten this worse. Buffet came out and said this and I think he was spot on. http://www.economist.com/node/21524951
SkipE I agree with you and Bchad, however it is a tough argument to make right now. The Tea Partiers seem to see themselves as crusaders with a righteous cause of cutting government spending come hell or high water. It is a cause based on ideology alone rather than any sort of fundamental analysis or reason. They have been itching to make a stand on pulling the trigger on something big like a US default to seize political power and put their name on history. Agree with others that you cannot blame the Tea Party or even the US in general for this since there is so much else going on. The US is holding up fine with a slow trudging recovery that is painful but at least is happening. Europe is coming apart at the seams under divided leadership and China is slowing amid extremely high inflation. These things said, from a personal perspective I actually hope that the Tea Party gets blamed for this crisis even though I know there are other reasons as I strongly believe that they are the last thing this country need right now.
I think this is a clever “wag-the-dog” ploy to make Americans hate the tea-party and I for one love it. 1. Just picture all those high placed libs in the white house. “Yeah we all look really centrist and reasonable in the debt debate and let the tea party members act like silverbacks gorillas.” 2. Then, we get s&p to lower the credit worthiness of our debt, but only temporarily." 3. Obama speaks at 1 pm. Announces that through his polished rhetoric and prudent speak style that he has convinced s and p to change their minds, the Chinese to drop their claim on on 20 percent of debt in order to buy health insurance for Americans to keep us alive long enough to pay off the other 80 percent. 3. Tea party vanquished to klan meetings.
@chicken, Looks like someone put something in your coffee this morning
ChickenTikka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think this is a clever “wag-the-dog” ploy to > make Americans hate the tea-party and I for one > love it. > > 1. Just picture all those high placed libs in the > white house. “Yeah we all look really centrist > and reasonable in the debt debate and let the tea > party members act like silverbacks gorillas.” > > 2. Then, we get s&p to lower the credit worthiness > of our debt, but only temporarily." > > 3. Obama speaks at 1 pm. Announces that through > his polished rhetoric and prudent speak style that > he has convinced s and p to change their minds, > the Chinese to drop their claim on on 20 percent > of debt in order to buy health insurance for > Americans to keep us alive long enough to pay off > the other 80 percent. > > 3. Tea party vanquished to klan meetings. Seriously speaking I hope you’re right about Obama having the charisma to get S&P to change their minds and send US back to AAA. This hope is ill founded however and is about as likely as me winning the lottery. According to John Chambers, the quickest it ever took was 9 years.