The Tricks Investors Use Against Businesses

Interesting read. The points are simple from a CFA technical standpoint, but used to great effect in ways we’re not prepared for by the CFA. http://www.theprivateequiteer.com/investor-tricks

Hey MrT thanks for sharing this article.

lxwarr30 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey MrT thanks for sharing this article. +1. I know virtually nothing about PE so this was interesting. The vendor financing one just seems like a basic TVM principal though…if a company founder doesn’t know that getting $5mm today and $5mm 3 years out is NOT the same as $10mm today, he or she is seriously deficient in basic monetary concepts.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > lxwarr30 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hey MrT thanks for sharing this article. > > > +1. I know virtually nothing about PE so this was > interesting. The vendor financing one just seems > like a basic TVM principal though…if a company > founder doesn’t know that getting $5mm today and > $5mm 3 years out is NOT the same as $10mm today, > he or she is seriously deficient in basic monetary > concepts. Well if you’re in stagflation/deflation period, then they will be getting more than 10mm.

…and people wonder why there are protestors in the streets. Separately, OMG, didn’t know you could buy the secrets of Private Equity!!!

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The vendor financing one just seems like a basic TVM principal though…if a company founder doesn’t know that getting $5mm today and $5mm 3 years out is NOT the same as $10mm today, he or she is seriously deficient in basic monetary concepts. “You may think you’re different and would never fall for these tricks. But keep this in mind, I’ve explained these tricks in terms that you’ll clearly understand. You don’t actually think they’ll be explained this way using this wording in term sheets? Even the best lawyers miss our tricks.” Haha, no dude, even the BEST lawyers miss their tricks - but you can save yourself if you buy the secrets.

Obviously, the site is a nice webmarketing 101 ploy. Still, it could be a useful intro to understanding PE lingo and the basic concepts of what PE guys do, written in a language you can understand even when reading before bedtime - so this could be useful, given that it’s just a few bucks. Has anyone actually read the whole pdf and can assess the quality? Oftentimes, I’ve found ebooks like e.g. the ones from WSO to be of some worth but somewhat lacking and no comprehensive introduction to a topic.

Why it says- Last post 41 years ago