The White House contact form now lets people choose their personal pronouns

Aaaaand here we go!

What would I ever need to contact the White House for?

Various administrative . . . things.

It’s pretty sweet! Let the people be called what they want to be called

Why is the Water Cooler such a backward place? I suggest that from now on we all sign our posts with our preferred gender pronouns.

Tank,
Cod
He / him / his

My Pastafarian faith has never felt so secure!

Could someone more woke explain to me why it’s the pronouns that are listed. Why not just put “man”, “female”, “other” or “prefer not to say” after your name?

And what are the woke rules, do the pronouns have to match? Or could I identify myself as “he, her” or “she, him”?

Final question, to whom is the “they/them” reserved to? Someone with multiple personality disorder?

Man/He is kind of the same thing without getting too woke on you. It’s more of a result of norms than anything. This isn’t metaphysics time, but it’s convention.

They/them is deserved for the ‘other’ category you referred to earlier.

The Biden administration is making respect as one of the key differences from the previous administration. Respect can mean different things for different people and its meaning can change depending on the context. In letting people choose their personal pronouns (from a select list), the administration is trying to show that they care about the LGBT community and respect their sense of identity. Most people will not have a need to contact the White House, and for the very few who do, they can simply select the pronoun they have always used. On one hand, those on the right will definitely feel as though the government is trying to push the left wing feminist agenda and be slightly annoyed by it. On the other hand, the government is just letting you choose your pronoun, nothing more or less.

One should recall that Biden put out a stern warning that any government employee caught disrespecting someone, they would be fired “on the spot”. Presumably this could also extend to how an employee addresses a member of the public. I believe firing someone because they used the wrong pronoun to address a member of the LGBT is going a bit too far, but that’s my opinion.

One issue I see with these gender pronouns is that how will it work on a greater scale, say a large workplace where a lot of people identify as something else than their outer appearance? How can one possibly keep track of everyone’s identity if one cannot rely on traditional metrics? I believe Immanuel Kant argued that an idea’s worth can be evaluated by how well it would work if everyone lived by it.

That’s a valid concern, although the chances that you’ll have to deal with this is likely slim. The LGBT community is relatively small, though its members can be very outspoken. Having said that, one way around this is to simply avoid using “him/her” and “he/she” altogether. Instead, refer people by their name (if you know their name), or by their job title. If you absolutely need to use a pronoun, you can never go wrong with “they/them”, or “this/that person”.

on another note, it didn’t take long before a Republican lawmaker mocked a transgender person chosen by President Biden.

Referring a singular person with a plural pronoun is grammatically incorrect, regardless what the woke crowd says.

Oxford and Cambridge seem to disagree with you, though maybe you are more knowledgeable than actual language experts that maintain the English dictionary.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/they

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/they

even Collins show that it can be used to refer to a single person:

Oxford, Cambridge, Longman, Collins and Merrian-Webster all agree that they can be used in place of a single pronoun.

but fine, if you don’t want to use they, another option is to replace the single pronoun with “he or she”, though the better option is to simply use their names, as was my first suggestion, or their job title.

examples:
Johnson told me that …
or This history teacher from Harvard told me that…
or He or she thinks that…

I stand corrected.

1 Like

We’re hamstrung: English does not have a singular pronoun for a person of unknown sex.

2 Likes

The wokeness award goes to Finland. In Finnish there aren’t any gender pronouns.
And Sweden invented a new one, han (he), hon (she) and hen (whatever you wish).
So progressive.

It? Although that makes me think of a Steven King movie.

I have maintained for a long time now–If I were Emperor, there would be no “gender”. Only “sex”. You can refer to yourself however you please, but official government forms only use “sex” when identifying individuals. And you have to use the corresponding bathroom.

What a weird thing to have such a strong stance on – I have to say, you spend a lot of time thinking about other people’s genitals.

^You don’t? There’s an entire, multi-billion dollar industry specifically created for focusing on other people’s genitals and how they interact with each other.