Things to do while unemployed

What would you do while looking for a job? Assuming the economy remains as blah as it does and you end up having a year to kill. *Assume you already have an MBA, CFA L3 for argument’s sake.

1. Read finance books 2) Read finance sites (WSJ, financial times, economist) 3) watch movies

build up your skills as much as you can, keep pounding out job applications

job market is dead as $hit

Volunteer, travel, workout, get PT job at Mc Ds if necessary.

Travel, get a fun no responsibility job to meet people, read and most importantly, get in shape while you can. It’ll also keep your spirits up.

I read an excellent article that said you should do what you have always wanted to do that doesnt relate to your work…some people in the article went to become Scuba Instructors, some people competed in marathons/triathlons while the others helped their communities in some form or the other… Ill try to look for it for perspective and post again.

How bout teaching / tutoring for the cash in the interim period? Even better, depending on what you teach / tutor, it may even have a tiny semblance of relevance to your next job.

Watch all seasons of Beavis and Butthead. Jk, I’ve signed up for the CAIA Exam. I go to the library nearly daily. I read anything that strikes my interest. And I go to the gym nearly daily.

nobody here has yet to suggest playing the field as much as humanly possible. that would certainly be one way to put your job-related sorrows in the rear view mirror…

everyone says, travel, do what you have always wanted etc. Problem is you need money to do these things, to get money you need a job. In this situation you dont have a job. If you get a job you cant do these things anyway as you have no time. Its impossible. I do have a job, but im considering buying a little cabin in the woods, try to live off the land, and then all these problems will disappear, wont they?

everyone says, travel, do what you have always wanted etc. Problem is you need money to do these things, to get money you need a job. In this situation you dont have a job. If you get a job you cant do these things anyway as you have no time. Its impossible. I do have a job, but im considering buying a little cabin in the woods, try to live off the land, and then all these problems will disappear, wont they?

1. reconnect with people from the past 2) read some fiction 3) do things on your to do list that you never got around to doing (necessary things, not things to do before you die or things that cost too much money) 4) go on some dates with your wife/husband, gf/bf, someone you like… shoot take your best friend out 5) get on the computer less and check emails less often unless job search related 6) COOK! 7) lose the fat and tone up those muscles 8) roadtrips 9) take your time eating, showering, and walking

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nobody here has yet to suggest playing the field > as much as humanly possible. that would certainly > be one way to put your job-related sorrows in the > rear view mirror… You should do this always and everywhere. My motto is ‘you can’t screw every girl, but you can at least try.’

http://nyc.myopenbar.com/ cheap or free booze - unfortunately, us employed people can’t go at the odd hours or locations that they sometimes promote.

clean the pipes every 6 hours

supersharpshooter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > build up your skills as much as you can, keep > pounding out job applications Especially bowhunting skills, numchuck skills, liger-drawing skills, stuff like that.

Start a finance related blog that covers topics related to the job you want to get. For example, start drafting up research pieces on individnal companies. Create a mock portfolio. Comment on broad economic indicators. Then put this blog on your resume as way to get a new job.

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > everyone says, travel, do what you have always > wanted etc. > > Problem is you need money to do these things, to > get money you need a job. In this situation you > dont have a job. If you get a job you cant do > these things anyway as you have no time. Thats a lame cop-out, maybe I’m lucky cause I was broke my whole life but these kinds of comments really get under my skin. If your idea of travel is a private oceanfront villa in bali then yeah, you’re out of luck, but if you want to see the world and are relatively young/healthy/open minded you can have a great year long sabbatical with VERY little money. Get a side job for a couple months (anything- tutor/ wait tables/ clean houses) and save a couple grand, sell your car, get on couchsurfing and make friends, buy a plane ticket to a developing country and ciao. You can always pick up some side jobs while abroad… just go to any local uni (the private one where rich kids go) and teach them english. Live in a communal apartment, eat on the street, join a club and enjoy your life. There are tons of valid reasons why this may not be possible, family responsibilities- not wanting to threaten your career, etc… but money is not one of them.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > maddane Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > everyone says, travel, do what you have always > > wanted etc. > > > > Problem is you need money to do these things, > to > > get money you need a job. In this situation you > > dont have a job. If you get a job you cant do > > these things anyway as you have no time. > > > Thats a lame cop-out, maybe I’m lucky cause I was > broke my whole life but these kinds of comments > really get under my skin. If your idea of travel > is a private oceanfront villa in bali then yeah, > you’re out of luck, but if you want to see the > world and are relatively young/healthy/open minded > you can have a great year long sabbatical with > VERY little money. Get a side job for a couple > months (anything- tutor/ wait tables/ clean > houses) and save a couple grand, sell your car, > get on couchsurfing and make friends, buy a plane > ticket to a developing country and ciao. You can > always pick up some side jobs while abroad… just > go to any local uni (the private one where rich > kids go) and teach them english. Live in a > communal apartment, eat on the street, join a club > and enjoy your life. > > > There are tons of valid reasons why this may not > be possible, family responsibilities- not wanting > to threaten your career, etc… but money is not > one of them. Thought about taking a year off. The only problem is how do you explain that break in exployment on your resume. You could say that an employer would value your travel experience but is that really true? An employer could also think that you may leave at whim to travel again.