Thinking about packing it in...

Last year I actually did pack it in. My study process was poor/lazy, and I was messed up emotionally, I felt zero motivation, and I just stared at words/numbers and my brain just wouldn’t work. I had studied since about October as well, just like you. I actually called it quits 5 weeks before the exam. I did not show up.

I wish I showed up though, because then, if I failed, I would receive 50% off Schweser materials for the next year. I had to pay full price again :frowning:

Anyhow, I did the whole thing over again. Cracked the books since mid January this year. I’m consistently scoring mid 80’s now.

So… if you’re scoring low 60’s at this point, you do have a chance, but you have to make a clear study plan right now and follow through. If I told you that if you cracked the books hard for 2 weeks, that you had a 40% chance to pass, would you do it? Because that’s what the situation looks like to me. You’re probably (as in, greater than 50% chance) going to fail based on the 50/62% scores you showed, but I feel as though you have some chance as well if you really pull together right now.

This packing it in story is absurd to me! by giving it a good last effort you will both have a betetr chance to pass the exam and if not it wont be a waste since i suppose you will write the exam again! what you get to understand today will come back to you a lot faster when you start studying level 2 again that is if you have to take it again!

Every question you get wrong in practice is another chance to add to your knowledge and understand the material better. It’s easy to get upset about wrong answers, but try to use them as a learning experience.

The best way to get good at anything quickly is to make as many mistakes as possible, as long as you’re learning from them and correcting them.

You know, I was just studying and thought back to this thread and had to log back on to post this:

Coming from someone who takes medication for depression, if you’re so discouraged that you’re thinking about not even showing up for the exam that you’ve already paid (a lot) for and for which you have been studying 8 months, then I would seriously consider looking into medications.

Honestly, not showing up after all this time and effort is absolutely crazy. The worst that can happen is you waste a Saturday and you bomb it completely, learn a lesson, and get a discount on Schweser materials next year. Not showing up is a complete waste in just about every way. I can’t stress this enough.

Studying at this point is a grind, and at least 3 times every hour I think, “Wow this sucks, I really want to be doing something else right now,” but pushing through that feeling is the difference between passing and failing.

@iteracom: yes…completed eco since writing that post…now moving on to the big guy - equity.

@ nanoblade: we are pretty much in the same boat…even i think scoring 65%ish on the mocks should be fine…no time to aim at 90 anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

just wondering if I’ll be able to recollect though…i think I’ll have to re-read…let’s see how equity goes…just read eco…maybe won’t re-read these two since it’ll be fresh in my mind…

i haven’t done any of those EOC’s that most people out here are doing…have you done it as well?

and anyone has read the secret sauce for LII?..any comments on that?

I understand your position. I’ve been studying since October too, so much so that my girlfriend is considering leaving me because of it. I thought I was handling the stress poorly, but it’s somewhat comforting to know that there are others in the same emotional state as I am.

I scored a 60 on the CFA mock. I knew all the content, and I wasn’t drawing blanks on the formulas, but for some reason I just couldn’t figure out what they were asking in some questions. This was the most frustrating part because I knew that I had the answer in me, but I couldn’t figure out which answer to give them. It just made me feel stupid.

Anyway I hope you keep going. I know I am. I’m going to kill this exam, and I’m not going to let some mock exam stop me!

all the best man!..hope we all kill it!

Best of luck on the day…but just from the point of perspective, the L2 exam is once a year and yes, it can cause long term relationships to end and family members get diagnosed with terminal illness while you are studying…it’s not easy to focus at times, but can you imagine having to go through this again???

life is a game of inches…and as al pacino said : ’ on analystforum WE FIGHT FOR THAT INCH’

Ok I’ll be that guy…

My memorial day will consist of the beach, barbecue, beer, and no thoughts of FRA. I haven’t studied in weeks and haven’t regretted my decision to throw in the towel at all. There’s more to life than killing yourself for a month over than forward pricing formulas. I’m still sitting for the test, just for the off chance that I guess my way to a passing score, but realize I won’t get it. There’s always next year.

You be that guy. I’ll be this guy…

I seriously love to hear people say stuff like this. Bring that curve down for me baby!

I did the same thing as you one year. I registered, didn’t study, and figured, “I might get super lucky (which I knew was about 0%) or I might as well just take it for experience.” No shame in being honest about it. Just please make sure to take the exam!

It’s a different story than those saying, “I’ve tried so hard but I just can’t feel myself getting over that hump.” I’m not rooting against those people. But you (and again, I did the same thing as you one year), I am definitely rooting against.

It’s a good idea, I think, to begin mock exams early.

@comicbookguy

I hope you’ve more or less resolved the situation with your gf. With less than 2 weeks to go, you really need all the support you can get. I know exactly how you feel, cuz frankly, I’m feeling roughly about the same, despite scoring higher than you. I’m also not doing great with time management. Since I’ve been doing this mock exam thing since well over a month now, the mocks aren’t even mocks to me anymore. They’re like a part of what I do on weekends and now weekdays too, so it’s hard to really treat it as a REAL exam, when I know it’s not. I often find myself making silly silly mistakes, things that I have in my head, but forgot to consider and then fill in the wrong oval because of that. It’s like being 90% correct but 10% wrong, but you’re penalized for that 10% error. Well, all I can say is hang in there buddy. Tell yourself that you have what it takes to make that 10% leap. It is this sorta mindset that’ll get you over the hurdle.

Good luck guys, and well said alladin!

Most gfs are dreamkillers. They only think about themselves. They don’t want you to change. If you succeed, they may no longer be good enough for you, and you’ll leave them. Don’t let them hold you back!

I know this is a very unpopular position, but it’s true. Good wives will probably leave you alone and support you. Most other women just really throw a monkey wrench in your plans. Think about it. Your interests are not aligned, or they wouldn’t give you these problems. I’ve actually heard of several couples (not married) breaking up while the man is studying for CFA exams.

Some truth in this. But the main take home point is your success has to come before your woman. And she will understand this, or should. Anyway at a time like this you need support not threats.

In short: Disregard women, acquire currency!

I would strongly recommend people try meditation (or rather simply sit still with eyes closed observing breath) for 5-10 mins during study sessions, it definitely helps reduce the stress and anxiety levels due to this exam!

thanks will keep that in mind cos this last week will be intense

tried to do a mock exam 8 weeks out but found I remembered nothing so elected to revise first and will take another one this week

Is everyone using the same revision method as level 1?

Yep, if he shows, that will help the curve

Thanks for the kinds words.

I also second the suggestion to try meditating. I realized that studying for an exam is just like practicing for a sport. If I am able to focus better, I’m able to study better. I can’t do either studying or sports without strong focus. I found that meditating helps keep my mind in good health.