Thoughts on Passing the Exam

the exam results will give ranges that you score on for each section. On level 1 I scored roughly half of the sections in 50 - 70% range and half in the above 70% range. Do you think this is the minimum needed to pass or would it be something like all sections in the 50 - 70% range?

really depends. i have seen scores with just 3 sections over 70 n the rest 50-70 n yet they passed.

My intuition is that it is a weighted average. If the weight is higher , say in FRA or Equity , and you do good ( > 70%) , it matters more than if you do poorly in say Alt Investment ( < 70% and > 50 %).

so, i guess you think that doing > 70% on high weight sections and 50 - 70% on low weight sections should pass you? What if you get < 50% on one or two sections…you think this is an automatic fail?

I don’t think it’s an automatic fail, it just depends on your absolute scores. Someone who scores about 90% in FRA and Equity can afford to score <50% in multiple small sections.

gazhoo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so, i guess you think that doing > 70% on high > weight sections and 50 - 70% on low weight > sections should pass you? > > What if you get < 50% on one or two sections…you > think this is an automatic fail? I’ll post up my 2009 results so you can formulate your own opinion. I got less than 50 on 3 sections so it doesn’t directly answer your question. Level 2: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - * - - Corporate Finance 36 - * - - Derivatives 36 - * - - Economics 18 * - - - Equity Investments 72 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 * - - - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 - - * - Quantitative Methods 18 * - - We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

BP why do you think you scored <50 on econ, quant, and ethics?

BP, What were you averaging in Schweser and CFA mock before the exam last year? Is there a reason you blew up on Ethics? Did you spend a lot of time on ethics or was it much tougher? What was the secret is getting > 70 in Equity and FRA

I looked over some other older posts about people who passed and failed level 2 in 2009… what i saw was that no one who passed got <50% on more than 2 sections. So, if you are gonna get < 50% it better be on smaller weighted sections and better to score >70% on higher weighted sections. At any rate, i think it’s important to do well on higher weight and maybe even sacrifice studying 1 or 2 smaller weight sections if you are crammed for time…

I passed last year with 50% on two sections (PM and Quant) and I knew quant cold going in! I’m fairly certain though that I got a 3/6 on both, so in the grand scheme of things it was 6 wrong answers. I’m also pretty sure I got 6/6 (or maybe 5/6) on both econ and alts, so that balanced it out for the smaller topics. It’s the overall score that counts though, but be careful about sacrificing small topics, a 1/6 on any item set can be hard to come back from.

man IMHO you were a sure pass had you passed Ethics… repeat your performance in all topics except ethics and you will be sitting for L3 next yr…

CFA.Rhythm Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BP > > why do you think you scored <50 on econ, quant, > and ethics? The short answer is I spent very little time studying these sections, similar to what I did for L1. I also spent less time on ethics since I assumed it would be similar to L1. As far as mock exams, the scores varied widely. In the Stalla Practice book, I scored anywhere from a 60 to a 75 depending on what was being tested. I took the 3 CFAI sample exams and got a 55, 73 and 70. Not sure how I did on the mock, but scored somewhere in the 70-75 range. I started using more Schweser materials this year such as the MP3s and the Practice Exams book. In terms of difficulty, I think the Schweser exam book dominates the Stalla materials. Secret to passing FRA was using the John Harris course. Secret to passing Equity was spending an enormous amount of time on that section, which is a double edged sword.

the result posted above scared me dude.only ethics changed the fate .making to slog again for l2 exam. now ii have spend an entire day on ethics tooo

BD, with an ethics score in the 50 to 70 range you would´ve passed.

The above post scared me because I’m using Stalla, not Schweser. Please tell me those hours weren’t wasted! In regards to Ethics on L2, I have a colleague who was also Band 10 last June and mentioned that Ethics was much more difficult than he had predicted. Obviously, he didn’t disclose specifics, but said the vignette threw things at him he hadn’t seen before. Translation: Review ethics.

Lumberjack Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The above post scared me because I’m using Stalla, > not Schweser. Please tell me those hours weren’t > wasted! > > In regards to Ethics on L2, I have a colleague who > was also Band 10 last June and mentioned that > Ethics was much more difficult than he had > predicted. Obviously, he didn’t disclose > specifics, but said the vignette threw things at > him he hadn’t seen before. > > Translation: Review ethics. Don’t get me wrong, Stalla is a great system to use. I think Dave, Pete, and Ben do a great job on the video lectures and the study guides are pretty thorough in their own right. In addition, their Academic Support function has answered some of the most esoteric questions I’ve thrown at them. Had I used Schweser, I probably wouldn’t have done any better in ethics. If you have the time, at least go over the EOCs in the curriculum. My plan is to go over the actual SOPH to make sure all the bases are covered.

SOPH…?

vik2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SOPH…? Standards of Practice Handbook.

bpdulog - you tee’d this one up, so I gotta swing… I think Pete and Dave are awesome, but Ben Jones is absolutely terrible! He’s boring, flies thru the notes, stumbles over his words and repeates things. He’s new to teaching and it reflects loud and clear. He looks so uncomfortable. AND, the worst, he adds no value. Pete and Dave will mark up slides and turn your lecture notes into the whole study guide - really drive home the points. Ben does none of that. I could seriously teach the material the way he does. He simply memorized the formulas/concepts - can’t synthesize the material at all! It’s no wonder he does the Econ. and other less-weighted material. I know…slightly judgemental…slightly ridiculous…but hey, I’m studying to be an analyst right?

I posted this last year. I believe this is an example of a very very low passing score. He only had 2 sections above 70 (one in a lowest-weighted section, and the other in a lower-weighted section). http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,1010578 Re: RESULTS THREAD Posted by: taz722 (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: August 19, 2008 06:10AM Level 2: Pass The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - * - - Corporate Finance 36 - * - - Derivatives 36 - - * - Economics 18 * - - - Equity Investments 72 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 72 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - * - - Portfolio Management 18 * - - - Quantitative Methods 18 - - *