Tim Thomas

Good on ya! If more people refused to compromise their beliefs over just going along to get along, the country would be a better place.

^Respect. Despite his stance, I feel he composed a professional refusal.

I’m torn on this. He’s obviously free to do as he pleases and articulated his rationale quite well, but at the same time I do feel that the office of the POTUS does deserve to be respected. I can’t decide if it is disrespectful or not to turn down an invitation to be congratulated for yor accomplishments.

I don’t mind that he was disrespectful to the president. This is the US, and we don’t have royalty for a reason. Besides, I don’t think it’s disrespectful to simply decline a visit. He’s a free man. However, I think it’s a rash decision. If I had the opportunity to meet any president and have a photo with them I would (maybe I have no conviction). I’m not going to let differences in political views get in the way of a pleasant meeting. I don’t think going to the white house to be recognized for winning a championship is the same as being asked to endorse a presidency, so I guess I think he’s being a little over zealous here.

I think he’s being impolite. It’s fine to disagree with someone else’s political views. It’s another thing to say that you disagree with them so much that you don’t even want to meet them.

Yeah it’s impolite. It was meant to be in his team’s honor and he ended up making it about his own political views.