Time limit for CFA charter

Hi all. I want to know one thing. I’m an engineer and do not have any background in finance as such. I do plan on working in the finance sector once I finish the CFA program. Could somebody please tell me what is the time limit for claiming the CFA charter after completing the CFA program i.e. after clearing all the three levels? Will it be possible for me to get the CFA charter after, say, 5-6 years of clearing all the three levels?

7 years max. Many people opt to do L1 in June because if you do it in December, you don’t have as many years to complete it.

The 7 year limit has been abolished. There is no more time limit.

The CFA Program is organized into three levels, each culminating in a six-hour exam. Completing the Program takes most candidates between two and five years (there is no limit to the number of times you can take each exam), but you can take as long as you need to complete the program. http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/Pages/index.aspx

2-5 years? i’m in my 5th year… super senior.

If it’s been 7 years since you took your last exam, you have to re-register for the program (about $400), but aside from that, there’s no time limit or maximum number of times you can take the exam.

Yeah I was joking about the 7 year limit. I was giving him a facetious answer because he couldn’t find this answer on their website. CFAI’s website has a pretty detailed FAQ section that will answer most of these questions.

What about time limit between passing all three levels and getting the charter? Do the levels passed ever “expire?” I ask b/c I passed the levels quickly after undergrad and don’t yet have the 4 years experience – now I’m going to grad school so my experience timeline is pushed back another 2 years.

Don’t worry about it, passing levels doesn’t expire.

Without acquiring the 4 years of relevant work experience, as judged by CFAI, you won’t be able to ‘claim a CFA Charter’ regardless of how quickly you progress through the program. http://www.cfainstitute.org/about/membership/process/Pages/work_experience.aspx

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah I was joking about the 7 year limit. That’s hilarious, you do stand up?

The longer you take, the less interested you get!

achilles Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The longer you take, the less interested you get! +100

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > topher Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Yeah I was joking about the 7 year limit. > > That’s hilarious, you do stand up? +1

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > topher Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Yeah I was joking about the 7 year limit. > > > > That’s hilarious, you do stand up? > > > +1 +2

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > comp_sci_kid Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > topher Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > Yeah I was joking about the 7 year limit. > > > > > > That’s hilarious, you do stand up? > > > > > > +1 > > > +2 -2 hahahahahaah

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > comp_sci_kid Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > topher Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > Yeah I was joking about the 7 year limit. > > > > > > That’s hilarious, you do stand up? > > > > > > +1 > > > +2 +4

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah I was joking about the 7 year limit. I was > giving him a facetious answer because he couldn’t > find this answer on their website. CFAI’s website > has a pretty detailed FAQ section that will answer > most of these questions. Wut !?. And former trader and bchadwick played along ? Gentlemen, that clever ruse was well played.