Time management in essay section

Hi, does anyone have a recommmendation how to best manage time? I am always behind the time in the essay section. Worst case was 2010 CFA exam where I lost almost 30 minutes and could not finish the last two item sets within the time limit. I try to time myself and skip questions I do not know. But usually I need a view minutes to get alll information I need. Also, I use bullet points to answer questions though I am sometimes unsure how much to write when the question states to support the answer with one reason. Has anybody the “magic bullet”?

In any of the practice exams I’ve done, the written answer has always been 1 sentence or 1 bullet point (per “reason”). I have 0 actual CFA exam experience.

You should definitly practice the original exams. I am a returning candidate. One factor could be that I am a non-native speaker.

It would be hard to take the test being a non-native. Can’t say what the best way to do it is. Go quickly I guess.

I bought a watch with a digital display.

Oh yeah. Don’t misunderstand - I’m doing ALL the practice exams, but I’m not a retaker, so I can’t comment on how it will be test day.

I am non native , it is a little disadvantage to me for sometime will misinterpret the question they ask. But it looks ok since I get so many A+ in graduate study and I think some misunderstanding apply to native too. So it’s ok.

can you recommend a watch and explain how it gives me more time helping to solve the questions :wink:

No I mean seriously, what would for example the shortest possible answer be in the 2009 CFA essay section for question 2iii on risk tolerance? Thanks.

I have the same problem I try to solve…I spend too much time reading the case, I will attempt to read faster. Watch recco: TIMEX IRONMAN Has two critical features for me: 1) Digital and Analog Dual display 2) Chrono mode 3) the “Lap” / Split feature would have been useful if there was a way to shut off beeping! :frowning: There are too many models…Just go with any new Timex Ironman model http://www.sportswatchinformant.com/timex-ironman-watch-button-layout http://jeff.typepad.com/other/Timex%20Ironman%20100%20Instructions.html Budget 30 / 40 mins to read and understand features

My suggestions 1. Do the IPS problems once you are done with the rest. These take time and it is very easy to get stuck on them. 2. Have precise and short answers preferably in bullet form. 3. Skip question if it looks confusing and come back. I might have sucked in scores but I did CFAI am sessions from 2005-2010 all within 2 hours. Exam day situation however might turn out to be very very different.

I passed last year after failing a few times. When I passed, I did most of the exam in reverse. I started with the last question and worked my way back - saving the IPS for the end. The 1st question is always an IPS. Each year there is a level of overconfidence at the start of the exam and you end up spending too much time on the IPS. Also, the last few problems are a little easier than the begin IMO. Best to grab the low hanging fruit first.

I have a dive watch i turn the bezel to mark off time limits answer short answer

Pick the topics you think you know the best first and leave the rest for the last. It’s better to get 90% on the 80% of the questions you could answer within the time limit rather than getting 70% on 100% of the questions you rush to attend :slight_smile: I too am a non-native speaker so I face the same challenges (slow at reading, misinterpreting questions etc.). As many suggested above, I’ll attend IPS last (assuming I have time remaining to do that :slight_smile:

Mr.Anderson Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > can you recommend a watch and explain how it gives > me more time helping to solve the questions :wink: If the question says 18 minutes and you’re at the 18th minute, move on. In fact, if you’re spending more than 12 minutes then cut your losses and come back to it later.

Ashwin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pick the topics you think you know the best first > and leave the rest for the last. > > It’s better to get 90% on the 80% of the questions > you could answer within the time limit rather than > getting 70% on 100% of the questions you rush to > attend :slight_smile: > > I too am a non-native speaker so I face the same > challenges (slow at reading, misinterpreting > questions etc.). As many suggested above, I’ll > attend IPS last (assuming I have time remaining to > do that :slight_smile: I did the same(started from the end) last year and failed (not that if you do the same won’t pass). I think IPS constitute major chunk of the morning exam and deserve some attention. However spending too much time could be disastrous too. I think strategy is to move fast and come back later if has time. I think there is not a best strategy that suits all.

Very helpful points everyone!! * If the IPS problem has too many time periods, Inflows, Outflows, complex Capital base, then I plan to draw up a table * But if flows get unwieldy, just skip the return requirement, move on to the textual part of IPS, and not worry about double jeopardy in next questions.

you should know personal IPS and institutional IPS have 40% weight in AM and institution part is simple I think you can leave return calculation aside and other parts are easy

On 4th I will not waste any time wondering where to start. If a question is confusing/unclear or is taking too much time I’ll move on and revisit at the end. Chances are I’ll have to try all questions to be able to pass, so will attack them in the order they are given.

Use the time allotted to the questions as a guide to time yourself. However, it’s only a guide. When I did my 2009 as a returning L3, top of my head rule was ‘do it quick’. Despite that, I still spent a disproportionate more time on the first 2 IPS questions (and messed up as well). Fortunately the last questions were much faster and I made up for the lost time. Many of us only took half the time allotted to the final question and thankfully that was my final encounter with L3. In 2008, I left the last two questions unanswered.