Timing is very important ....

One year ago, one of my friends got hired by a commerical bank in toronto as a business analyst; another friend got an offer as a quant. analyst. This year, no such positions are available. :frowning: Timing is so important; one year makes differenceā€¦they got nice jobs, I am survivingā€¦

you are not the only oneā€¦

Novalobster, are you from Villanova?

novalobster i feel you. i just got rejected for another equity analyst position today. timing and luck are both very important. the only thing there is to do is study, work, and network.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > novalobster i feel you. i just got rejected for > another equity analyst position today. timing and > luck are both very important. the only thing there > is to do is study, work, and network. Completely the wrong order.

If they fire lots of people, and they might need new junior level people to replace some of these bloody opennings. Actually, in summer 2007 the financial crisis (the subprime thing) already emerged. I would say that 2006 is better than 2007, 2007 is better than 2008, 2008 could be better than 2009. My friend got a phd in ECE and found a job as a business analyst(senior?) in 2007 at a commercial bank, IT and support. I thought that a Ph.D. is defintely worth more than a business analyst .; he just took an underpaid job or he just underestimated himself. Now, I believe that he made the right move; a job is a job, paying your bills and enjoying your life, i.e., much much better than nothing.

iā€™m in the same position in toronto

Bleeck Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > topher Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > novalobster i feel you. i just got rejected for > > another equity analyst position today. timing > and > > luck are both very important. the only thing > there > > is to do is study, work, and network. > > > Completely the wrong order. I like to save the best for last.

i find myself doing a first ever today - applyng for a corporate finance job!! yikesā€¦if i got an interview, i suppose it wouldnt hurt. I guess as long as you are utilizing your MBA/CFA studies, the job, whatever it is, will be worth it. My worry is will someone that goes into corp fin for 2 years, be able to transition back into Wall St?