Tired of not being interviewed

So, it seems like I must be doing something wrong. I feel that my resume is strong enough and that my cover letters are focused enough. I’ve been in contact with many people in the industry at different companies and have been given the chance for informational interviews. However, before I am brought in, I am always told that there are absolutely no open spots and it is made very clear that this is not a job interview. What am I missing? I’m in the same boat with every other undergrad having minimal related work experience. I’ve graduated with economic honors (3.6+) from a top 20 undergrad, I’m at a different school (3.85 gpa) now pursuing a cpa (because I want it), and I can’t get anyone to look at me. My people skills are fine, people enjoy talking to me. Sorry if this is just a pointless rant, I’m just extremely frustrated. I don’t feel like just because of school or grades that I am entitled to a job. However, I just thought the whole process of job searching would be a little bit easier by going to a good school and working really hard. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Trust me, you are not the only one. Keep trying…

Well, it is all about the law of large numbers. You are probably the unlucky one but such is life (billions of people have life worse than you). Keep trying and keep improving, eventually you will get something.

Interviews will come when you forget about the position you applied for. Or when you do not need them any more because you have just land on new job. I got a few calls within a week from I started this job. My point is, like other folks said, you just have to keep trying. You never know. Sometimes opportunities find you even before you find them. But you have to expose yourself to mkt. Good luck!

zigy, dead on. I sent out 85 resumes in 6 weeks, heard back from maybe 10 companies and got a job offer on Monday. Since accepting the offer, I’ve had around a dozen phone calls asking me to come in for an interview. It’s like some sort of universal law.

goldenkah2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So, it seems like I must be doing something wrong. > I feel that my resume is strong enough and that > my cover letters are focused enough. I’ve been in > contact with many people in the industry at > different companies and have been given the chance > for informational interviews. However, before I > am brought in, I am always told that there are > absolutely no open spots and it is made very clear > that this is not a job interview. > > As a rule of thumb, you should never use the informational interviews to solicit a job. The other person already knows that you are looking for a job. If they had one, they probably would hire/interview you then. The objective is to learn about a particular company or a position, get feedback on your capabilities versus the job/market, and hope that they know someone who knows someone with a job; its the weak associations which land you a job.

there is definitely some seasonality to the jobs market. I’m not fully certain what it is, although September is definitely on of the bigger months. After that, a lot of organizations need to wait until Jan 1st before budgets allow an increase in headcount. Might be a sensible time to look for consulting gigs if you are worried about bald patches on the resume.

bch, I think August is the single worst time for the new job market. September is one of the best months, I agree.

Did you do interns?

ymc: A few internships, but nothing related. Just making money to survive along the way. Also, abacus: thanks for the reminder about soliciting for jobs in the informational interviews. It’s easy to let a question like that slip out. For everyone else, I’ll keep going, but I can’t help but disagree about the job market, for this September at least.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > zigy, dead on. I sent out 85 resumes in 6 weeks, > heard back from maybe 10 companies and got a job > offer on Monday. Since accepting the offer, I’ve > had around a dozen phone calls asking me to come > in for an interview. It’s like some sort of > universal law. You are soooo right. I applied to 85-100 jobs, went on 5-8 interviews, and finally got an offer. After accepting my offer, I got about 8-10 more calls for firm’s wanting to interview. It’s tough man- there’s definitely some lag time in applying for jobs and hearing back from them. Especially when they’re being bombarded by other recent grad job-seekers. Keep the faith, don’t give up, and don’t lower your standards as to what job you deserve. Be honest with yourself and if you have a great resume and a great GPA go for a great job. In the words of Lou Manheim (movie: Wall Street), “good things, sometimes take time.”

Goldenkah, where r u located

I’m in the Tampa/Sarasota, FL area. Willing to move anywhere, except I don’t particularly want to go to NY. In the end, if that’s the only job offer I get, I’ll go there. But it’s definitely not my first choice. Regardless of my feelings, I have applied to all the jobs there I have found.

Keep fighting!! It will pay off, I almost cried when I finally got a gig. Note, maybe your frustration or thinking that your so qualified is coming off in your interviews. Maybe re-consider your approach. Also, consider what jobs your applying for. I had to lower my expectations slightly, I got a job soon there after. Just some thoughts from someone who just recently graduated and got a job within days of graduation.

questions regarding informational interviews - I hear what everyone is saying to not ask for a job, but do I leave my resume with them (if they don’t ask for it)? I’m planning on bringing a copy so I have it if they ask, but if they don’t ask do I just forget about giving them one?

i’m going through this too man…don’t worry…

re: resume. Bring one to the interview and give it to the guy "as a basis for understanding your background. Ask for suggestions and what kinds of roles someone with your background might best be suited for. Ask what you can do to make your resume stand out more. Then make the changes suggested and send the guy a copy of your revisions and say thank you, please feel free to forward to anyone you think I should talk to.

Also, be sure and ask for other references that the person you are talking to might recommend. If you are talking to the right people, they should know someone who knows someone who’s hiring. Impress them enough and they will open their contacts list and let you into their circle. And, six months down the road, they may be hiring, as well.

Seriously, if you want a job, then let nothing hold you back. It may take a lot of nerve, but go in person to drop off your resume, and ask to speak directly to HR, or whoever you want to work for. It’s my impression that most HR departments are unorganized and scattered. So, when you find that company you want to work for, don’t let anything hold you back and go for it. The worst that can happen is they say no. If they do that, who cares, you’re in the same position as you’re in now!

goldenkah2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > questions regarding informational interviews - I > hear what everyone is saying to not ask for a job, > but do I leave my resume with them (if they don’t > ask for it)? I’m planning on bringing a copy so I > have it if they ask, but if they don’t ask do I > just forget about giving them one? I went on an informational interview with Bear in NYC earlier in the summer (a friend that works there referred me). I traveled 3 hrs for a 15 min interview, but it was worth it for the experience, giving them a face to put with the resume, etc. Yeah, def don’t ask for a job if the interview is informational. Yes, definitely leave your resume…they should ask for one in order to learn more about you. If they don’t ask for one, at the end of the interview thank them for taking the time to meet with you and ask them, “could I leave a copy of my resume for you to keep on file for future reference?” Come loaded with questions about the specific firm and typical entry level opps. I wouldn’t suggest asking them for suggestions as to how you can better your resume. Sure they would know, but if they’re not a headhunter or a counselor- don’t ask. I think it makes you look ill-prepared, doubtful, desperate, and not able to develop your own resume. If anything, ask about what skills/qualities/experience you can improve on to better yourself to become an ideal candidate. Also ask for a card if they don’t give you one (they should)…and ask if you can keep in touch or check in with them in a few weeks or a month to see if anything has changed. (Don’t ask if you can check in with them in a few weeks if they tell you they’re absolutely not hiring right now, but they’re hiring in a couple months…these people are busy enough and don’t want to be bothered- in this situation ask if you can contact them again during the hiring time.) Usually with informational interviews they like you and see you as a potential candidate, but they are not hiring at the time of the interview and are hiring in the near future. Good luck man, hang in there…it’ll happen, it just takes time.