To do, or not to do. That is the question

People of the world,

For the past few months I have been agonising over whether to take on the CFA exams. I will be a qualified management accountant in November and should therefore have from January - June 2013 to prepare for Level 1. Sounds normal enough so far, doesnt it?

Here’s the thing. The only reason I want to take on the CFA is because I have this feeling that I never really learned anything during my 4yr college stint. I got poor grades, and whilst I got my degree (admittedly not one to be proud of) and have been working in finance ever since graduating, I always feel one or two steps behind everyone else when it comes to knowing the basics.

I like the content of the Level 1 syllabus- and as I have been studying part time for the past 3 years, I am not put off by the dreaded “300” hours which is involved.

My only ambition is to take the Level 1 exam as I feel it would put my soul at rest and give me some closure on the education. I would see it as a bonus to pass the exam, as the knowledge which is to be gained from studying towards it would be enough for me.

Let me know what you think. Am I crazy?

Any advice

I’d go for your CPA instead of the CFA.

Personally i don’t think you should feel a chip on your shoulder since you a) have a finance job, b) are a qualified mgmt accountant after graduation ( something that not everybody can claim ).If you are motivated to learn more though and feel that you are lacking the basics, then why not go for cfa L1?..Chances are you know more than you initially thought…i am guessing there is some overlap between cfa syllabus and mgmt accountaincy exam content…so L1 should be revisiting old ground for you!..in any case, all the best

Just do it - stop worrying about it and just register and read the curriculum, take the exam, and learn. really not much downside here.

Your odds of making more $$$ with a CPA is higher than CFA. Unless you’re in the top 10% of finance graduates, they push the average up.

Thanks for all the replies- i appreciate everyone’s opinion. I basically have nothing to lose (apart from 300hrs and the fees involved) and everything to gain

When it comes to decisions such as these, I end up regretting not doing something more often than doing something. So, just do it.

I still think you should focus on the CPA. More stable job opportunities/career.