To S2000magician

Do you think you would be able to get 100% on a mock exam if you were to take one right now? If not, what would you expect to get? Let’s say it’s from Level 1 since that’s the easiest. Just wondering if it’s reasonable for someone who spent so much time with CFA material, or if it’s just too statistically unlikely.

L1 perfection is possible.

I don’t know the poster whom is being addressed, but I’d say it’s nearly a statistical impossibility (unlike the LSAT, where someone who’s mastered the material could reasonably expect to score 180 - heck I barely studied and got 176). There are definitely questions, especially in ethics, where reasonable minds who thoroughly understand the material could legitimately disagree. Some CFA questions do have somewhat of a subjective element.

No, I wouldn’t. I might not even get a passing score.

To pass the exam requires the ability to recall all of the information on all of the topics in short order, which you only develop by studying it repeatedly and practicing it frequently. I have a very good general knowledge of the curriculum, but don’t have all of the details at my fingertips. When I teach the material, I review it before class to refresh my memory, but I have to remember each study session for at most a day or two.

I would say that I could probably study for a month or so and pass, but probably not without studying.

Why do you ask?

Hello S2000magician,

With my respect for your experience and wisdom, I would like to ask you for some advice (career-related). Is it possible for you to send me an email to

Thanks a lot!

Howdy, Xiao!

I’ll send you an e-mail, but I’m not sure how much career advice I can give. If you looked at my résumé, one conclusion to which you might come is that I have never decided what I want to do when I grow up.

You’re quite welcome.

I wouldn’t be surprised if JDV got a perfect score on one of the exams.

I never had the pleasure of meeting JDV. When did he take his exams?

Probably back in the 1980s when it was all essay.

He’s currently in the Obama economic team. He should be back here once Obama’s second term finishes in January 2017.