To the Re-Takers of L3...

This is my first and hopefully last time taking Level 3. My strategy is as follows for the next 60 or so days: Do all EOC questions from CFA curriculum. Finish these by May 1. Maybe take a practice test in mid/late April. May is all about practice tests and reviewing the EOC questions and select readings in areas where I am weak. Hope to have 5 to 6 tests under my belt with one week to go. Take the last week before the exam off from work and just do questions and tests. This has worked in the past but a little nervous about the writing and how to prepare for it since I’ve never had to deal with it. Can anyone offer advice, feedback, thoughts or words of encouragement? Thanks

Everyone learns differently, and the most important thing beyond knowing the material is to have confidence going into the test. So I’ll offer my thoughts, but do what you feel you need to do As a retaker here is what I’m doing this year. 1. I wrote out every LOS and its answer (very time consuming, but there isn’t going to be anything on the test I haven’t seen. 2. Answer CFAI end of chapter Q’s & intra-chapter questions in blue. I relied on Schweser and practice tests last year and I came up (I think) 3 questions short. I’m going right to the source this year. 3. When I answer End of chapter questions and practice tests, I keep tract of every incorrect answer and what SS/LOS it came from to identify my weaknesses. 4. I did my top 10 List last year (top 10 things I expect to see on the test) to focus my attention on the key topics in the final week(s). I think I will expand it to my top 30 this year which basically works out to 2 key topics from each LOS plus ethics and GIPS. This is my 2nd look so the 10 things I nailed down last year will appear on the list but I already have a good grasp on them. I will publish it in May when I make it. You seem like you are on the right track. I am taking the week before Memorial day to cram 10 solid days in and then take those last few days to relax & review. As I mentioned in another thread, my wife and I had a baby 5 days before last year’s test, I would recommend NOT doing that. Best of luck.

sjuhawk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 4. I did my top 10 List last year (top 10 things I > expect to see on the test) to focus my attention > on the key topics in the final week(s). I think I > will expand it to my top 30 this year which > basically works out to 2 key topics from each LOS > plus ethics and GIPS. This is my 2nd look so the > 10 things I nailed down last year will appear on > the list but I already have a good grasp on them. > I will publish it in May when I make it. > > You seem like you are on the right track. I am > taking the week before Memorial day to cram 10 > solid days in and then take those last few days to > relax & review. As I mentioned in another > thread, my wife and I had a baby 5 days before > last year’s test, I would recommend NOT doing > that. Best of luck. Congrats on the baby. Can you please share with us what is on your top 30 list?

ChrisV: sounds like you’re on the right track. This is obvious, but would spend lots of time on the individual and institutional IPS. Get the old CFA tests from someone (have seen these on-line going back to 2000). The more of these you see & work through, the better. sjuhawk: wish I had written out all the LOS answers, good idea. How long did it take you?

I haven’t made the top 30 list yet, but plan to do it in the next few weeks. I will post it once I do for comment. As for writing out each LOS, it is tough to say how long it took b/c I wrote them out than answered the end of chapter questions. all together it probably took maybe 100+ hours, but that is just a guess. Instead of writing them all out, I think it is better to use them as a review. Read the LOS, if you can answer it , check it off and move to the next one. At the very least, you can identify any weak areas. Also, by reading the LOS in the CFAI text, you also see the “commentary” CFAI added this year to tell you when to ignore the calculations and instead focus on the theory or its application. I have a bunch old exams going back maybe 10 years. If you guys want them let me know your interest on this thread, and I’ll scan them and post them somewhere (like scribd). Does AF have a place 2 post this stuff?

yes, i would be interested in some old exams, thanks! you can shoot me an email at hfong80@yahoo.com

sjuhawk, i would definitely be keen for some of the earlier papers (pre07), if it is not too much trouble?

mine is ben.millard402 at gmail dot com also there’s a google group for L3 takers. Someone posted the old exams to 2003. I can invite you if you want? i worked through the 2000-'02 exams last year (2nd timer obviously). Some of the material’s not tested anymore. It should be obvious but just a heads-up…

Yes please Neveruse, my email address is lachlan.j.hughes@gmail.com Many thanks

No need to post e-mail addresses here, I will put the exams in the public domain. I just need to get them together this weekend and scan them before I can post a link. I’d also appreciate feedback as to whether this violates the plagiarism section of the codes & standards. I obviously don’t think it does as these tests were provided by CFAI to candidates in previous years, I just happen to have a workplace that shares resources. As pointed out by Neveruse the questions may not be 100% relevant to the current material.

Thanks everyone for the input. This is helpful. I want to CRUSH this exam and never look at this stuff again.

Is it really worth looking back more than three years, considering that the material changes every year?

Could you please e-mail me old CFA/question answers. thanks a lot - Atanu

Hey gang, Sorry to tempt and not deliver but I dug out the back tests (2003-2005) this weekend only to find they are 1) bound and 2) copyright protected by CFAI. Needless to say scanning the 150 pages does not seem like the best use of my time right now, and I don’t even want to chance violating the code & standards. Again apologies.

Hughsey et al, please shoot an email to cfa-2010-level3@googlegroups.com to request to join. Apparently the administrator has to screen you 1st… All the past tests are here to 2003, plus other study aids.