To Those Who Failed

What will you do differently?

hope that in the months leading up to the test I don’t have a kid, move out of state, and start a new job…

Excuse me “failed”. Don’t you mean, those who happen to fail tommorow? Last time I checked results weren’t out yet, so it really shouldn’t be past tense… If I failed, nothing, do the same thing as before. It didn’t matter how hard one studied, just how much sh1t you could out on the paper June 7th mornning in my book.

Agree with Hali for the most part. Other than that, eat my Wheaties for exam day breakfast.

If I failed, I won’t use anything besides the CFA-published texts for review. That’s all I used for L1 and L2 and finished the test with much greater confidence than this year (even adjusting for the relative difficulty of each). Someone convinced me to add Schweser to the mix for L3. Big mistake. If I failed, including supplemental material in my study plan is the primary reason, and I won’t do that again.

If i fail, there are strong chances that i am not able to eat and that i am not going to strippers on lunchtime.

I wish I could do something different. But I read the CFAI text, made notes, did schweser problems, bought all the CFAI problems and gave myself more than enough time to study. I really dont know what I could have done different (assuming I fail)

Troobs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If i fail, there are strong chances that i am not > able to eat and that i am not going to strippers > on lunchtime. NICE!!!

start earlier, read every CFAI piece of material, do every problem, use Schweser as a supplement to CFAI textbooks and not vice versa, and leave more time for practice exams and review of material / problems during April and May. Every thing takes me 3 times longer than I expect it to and I plan on really factoring that in this year the fixed income, swaps, and credit risk areas killed me this year…I have the IPS, Ethics, behavioral finance, GIPS, asset allocation, alternatives, etc stuff down pretty well bottom line is I need to know the CFAI way…not the Schweser way. This worked for level one and two…burned me this year and almost burned me on Level 2 to those who pass…congrats…what an accomplishemt. To those who fail…at least it isn’t level 2 and let’s close it out next year

Big Babbu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Agree with Hali for the most part. > Other than that, eat my Wheaties for exam day > breakfast. My doc said wheaties make me fart, Tiger says they are GRrrrrreeeeat, or was it special k? anyhow… if i fart in exam room, i will clear up 3-4 candidates in radius of 3 meters. Talking about eliminating competition

If I fail I will def. approach the essays different. I think I would “take my time” rather than try to do them all half a$$.

Def will practice AM for real

yea me too CSK I really wish I had taken a full morning practice to see the time crunch… I have never experienced something like that…

same here. I think i did well on PM, but AM… man i wish i would take full length exam which i didnt

IH8FSA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wish I could do something different. > > But I read the CFAI text, made notes, did schweser > problems, bought all the CFAI problems and gave > myself more than enough time to study. > > I really dont know what I could have done > different (assuming I fail) Same here… That’s why I’m going shock the system… 7 day Windsor = 50 hrs + Week off = another 50… So a Good 120 hrs next May…

All the practice AM exams I did had 10 questions. I remember I was about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the exam when I noticed that I was further from the end than I thought. Then I looked at the front and thought “Woah, there are 11 questions on this exam, not 10.” Now, supposedly the total number of minutes allocated are the same, but realistically, there is extra overhead to starting up a new question. As for me, I think I will spend more time reading the original CFAI texts. I’m not unhappy with how I studied this time around, but since the material won’t be so new to me this time, I’d be able to read CFAI stuff faster.

I passed, but for two weeks after the test I was kicking myself for poor preparation. I put in enormous amount of time, but my use of time could have been so much better. Each evening I studied, I sat down with a CFAI book and slowly read through the week’s material. If I had enough time at the end of the week, I did CFAI and Schweser questions. Doing questions decreased as I got behind here and there during the 6 months. What I would do different is start with the Schweser, as crappy as it is, then do all the Schweser questions. Only after forcing myself to understand how to do the majority of the problems on each topic would I then go through the detailed CFAI material. I would first get my head ready by forcing myself to learn how to do problems with the cliffs notes, and then once I understand the “big picture” I would try to fill in the gaps with the 1,000 details in each topic. The problem is that it takes a lot more energy to work problems than to read. I allowed myself to be a low energy studier too many nights. Instead, I would try to discipline myself to either study well, or walk away and get some rest. But wasting hours reading material that you don’t retain is not only low value, but you can trick yourself into thinking you are working hard and preparing hard, when all you are doing is wasting your own time. I had gotten myself resolved for a fail this morning, so I am obviously glad I made it over. But to anyone who is starting or retaking, best of luck, and I hope you use your study time well.