To those who passed Level 3

i prayed a lot to the partial credit gods

They flip the coin as what happened in 2014… See the AM questions… PM was very hard

I did better in AM than PM in 2014 (and yes, passed).

Pure Speculation:

I _ think _ the institute tosses up to 10% of the exam (removing or giving credit to everyone)

I’ve been shocked every time. Killed L1 and L2 w/ >70 on every category except AI in L2…and then a Band 10 fail on first attempt at L3.

Was surprised on all 3 outcomes. Given the lack of details provided on exam performance and inability to view your graded exam, I sometimes wonder if a few test each time aren’t just completely muffed up and the absolute wrong grading is assigned.

Think about it. It has to have happened before at least a few times. And could even happen with greater frequency and no one would ever know the difference.

Well, that’s super comforting Topperharley.

Feel confident = failed Feel like you failed = passed Feel like it could have gone either way = failed

I like that…

i agree with this but probably closer to 5%

I have not taken level 3 previously so I’m not sure how the exam was. However, while doing the morning AM questions, I felt like it was all quite straightforward, with questions extremely similar to the mocks that I have taken. However, with PM, there were multiple questions with answers that all looked like they could be right, or all looked like they could be wrong. It was very difficult to pick out the one true answer…especially ethics.

PM was horrible this year.

i am hoping for a similar feeling when I do level 3 in June 2017 to what I had on the first two. I felt like I had delivered a beating. Both times felt in line with mock scores around 80%. I will have more time to study for level 3, and do not want to take it twice.

Came out confident after AM and semi-confident after PM . So Confident AM + 0.50 Confident PM .= 0.75 % Confident L-3 . Pass or Fail ? Would update on 9 Aug .

For all 3 levels the feeling of how I did when I left the exam was confirmed in the result. I took L3 twice and knew I was borderline both times in '14/'15. First time I got band 10 and second time I passed. Barely.

pass is a pass…doesn’t matter if its barely, neatly or overwhelmingly…Cheers!..

the best part of CFA results is that you don’t have to open the mail to see the results…the first word says it all…either it would be “Congratulations” or We regret to inform…

Pretty sure the title is just “Your Exam Result” and assuming you don’t have any preview on, you’d actually have to open it. I already set my reading pane and previews off. I’ll look soon after I get it but I’m gonna need a second to brace myself.

My L2 email took me by surprise as I had waited nearly 2 hours for it and had gotten about 15 junk emails after 9am EST. The result was good but I wasn’t ready for it and kind of freaked out at my desk. Lol.

Agreed. A pass is a pass. I’m glad to be done. 4 years studying. Wish you all the best on Tuesday!

When I walked out this year, I thought I did really well in the AM (at least 70%) and thought AM would carry me for a pass. Did not feel good about the PM section at all. I was 100% confident about 37/60 (62%) and hoped that a few educated guesses will tip me over 65%. Really thought I was borderline but was skewing towards a pass.

Got my results. I did worse in AM than I thought, 40/60/80 came out to 61%. Killed PM though, all above 70% with two 18 pt sections in the 50-70 range.

in conclusion; never trust AM. I did worse than I thought on sections I was confident on. PM is definitely what carries the exam.

I guess I can answer this now. I was about 90% sure I passed. I knew I struggled in parts on the AM, but I finished everything at least and scored enough points so that a solid PM (>70) would get me there.

The PM was where I think there was a lot of disconnect between commentary here and how I felt. Maybe I’m wrong but I felt like a lot of folks were saying the PM was very subjective and had lots of tricks. I saw none. In the past that probably would have shaken me to think I failed or fell for these so called “tricks” but by this point I knew this rodeo too well. I’m not trying to toot my own horn but I think it’s important that candidates trust their judgment and not let others influence how they feel about their performance. Results proved the PM was a godsend and left me virtually no chance of failing.

I came out thinking it would be a 60/40 chance fail/pass. And it was as close, even though I made it somehow.

Surprisingly, my performance was pretty close to the practice exam results. I was averaging between 55%-65% on the AM mocks going back to 2008. And I was always slightly above 70% for the PM questions plus the CFAI Qbank. Based on the 40/60/80 I ended up at 56% for AM and 74% for PM which brought me in average to 65% and which must have been just enough of a push over the bar.

Coming out of the exam I told myself that I should have been more of an AM mock whore - more questions, more exams. I had them, just didn’t have enough time to go through them (started to late with that). Now in hindsight I would say, I should have also learned more out of them, instead of just hammering away. What I mean is: get a better idea of how to solve the problems. Categorize the problems etc. I was lucky to pass it this time, but I should have taken a more strategic approach to the AM section.

The PM section and contrary to what I heard here of traps and misleading questions was pretty straight forward.

Also: I did Ethics quite diligently this time around taking notes, reading and doing all the problems - and it paid out. Phew.

Good luck to everyone for 2017!!!