Too many qualifications?

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > He mentioned Harvard twice and before his PhD > credentials. Sigh. The thing is, if you read the > rest of his biography, it seems like he has enough > credentials such that he should not have to wh0re > himself out like this. That does seem to be a thing about Harvard types. I saw in the thread on jokes that there was a joke about “Q: How do you know a Harvard grad in the first five minutes after meeting them? A: They tell you.” I had to laugh because I’ve found that to be fairly true. The other thing that happens is that you ask a Harvard person where they went to college and then they say something evasive-sounding-but-not-evasive, like “I went to a school in Cambridge, Massachussets.” And of course, I ask “Oh, which one?” since it could be Harvard, MIT, or Leslie College. And inevitably they say “Harvard,” because everyone else just tells you where they went without the extra teasing. Then you ask them “Why didn’t you just say ‘I went to Harvard’?” And then they tell you, “Well, when you go to Harvard, like I did, you have to be careful about telling people, because everyone thinks it means you’re smarter than them.” There’s even have a name for it, calling it “Dropping the H-Bomb.” It’s all about being careful to look like you’re being careful. I’ve met lots of Harvard types, and my mother and grandfather went there, and what I’ve seen is that they are consistently very intelligent and competent, but they don’t seem to be leaps and bounds above other people who go to highly rated universities. They do have an awesome alumni network though, and that pays off, particularly schools like JFK school, which has produced plenty of world class leaders and diplomats, including JFK himself (it was called the Littauer Center back then) and other presidents, here and abroad.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That does seem to be a thing about Harvard types. > I saw in the thread on jokes that there was a joke > about “Q: How do you know a Harvard grad in the > first five minutes after meeting them? A: They > tell you.” I had to laugh because I’ve found that > to be fairly true. Why didn’t you show me some love in the joke thread for rehasing that one? I’m offended. I’ve also found it to be true. Then again, if I went to Harvard, I’d probably tell people too.

Glad you posted the joke, Danny Boy!

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why not? I don’t think it’s as selective; that is, I think it’s easier to get into than, say, Harvard College as an undergrad, Harvard Law School or Harvard Medical School, not to mention many of Harvard’s Ph.D. programs. I’m not saying it’s not a great program or not selective, just that getting in arguably doesn’t mean as much as getting admitted to some of Harvard’s other programs. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am.

------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think an MPA from the Kennedy School is as > impressive as most other degrees from Harvard. I know a lot of people with this degree. There is little actual knowledge conveyed in this program. Pretty lightweight, although it’s among the best of the MPA programs, which is not saying very much. It’s great for placement into federal, state and local government agencies at mediocre salaries though.

writing down all your titles is a bit… but also including where you studied and all the honors, please! The more titles you list, the cheesier it looks. But it also depends in what country you live. Germans love titles, the Dutch don’t care much like the Americans…

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think an MPA from the Kennedy School is as > impressive as most other degrees from Harvard. this is the backdoor to the school. many people apply to in in hopes they can transfer to the business or legal program…

Danny Boy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > That does seem to be a thing about Harvard > types. > > I saw in the thread on jokes that there was a > joke > > about “Q: How do you know a Harvard grad in the > > first five minutes after meeting them? A: They > > tell you.” I had to laugh because I’ve found > that > > to be fairly true. I thought it was: Q: How do you know a Harvard grad in the first five minutes after meeting them? A: They only tell you they went to school in ‘Cambridge.’

My German professor told me that in Germany only professors/PhD’s from highly regarded fields such as engineering/math/sciences are called professors. All the other professors/PhD’s are just called instructors (don’t know where business and economics falls). German’s are definitely a different breed.

luisg99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My German professor told me that in Germany only > professors/PhD’s from highly regarded fields such > as engineering/math/sciences are called > professors. All the other professors/PhD’s are > just called instructors (don’t know where business > and economics falls). German’s are definitely a > different breed. I’m based in Germany, but haven’t noticed this yet.

http://www.s9.com/Biography/Dr-Ashoka-Jahnavi-Prasad-Jr check this.

luisg99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s the dude LMAO, > http://www.uni-leipzig.de/journalistik2/en/lehrstu > hl/mitarbeiter/marcel-machill/ He is handsome though in the pic.

areyouserious Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > http://www.s9.com/Biography/Dr-Ashoka-Jahnavi-Pras > ad-Jr > > check this. Yeah, but a bit of googling turns up an Australian Broadcasting Corporation story which paints the guy as a nutjob/fraud/pathological liar or whatever http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s11681.htm

I think if you’ve spent the time to earn said designations then you can use them whenever and wherever you want to be honest. People will talk trash about you but big deal, so long as the credentials are worthy then so be it.