Too many qualifications?

I know AF talks about people with too many qualifications, well this guy is a real-life example: What’s Th.L ? The CFA Society of Melbourne is delighted to invite you to a lunchtime presentation on: “How to be Good at Finance – Developing Professional Ethical Character” Dr Gordon Preece M. Sc.& Soc., B.D.(Hons), Th.L. (Hons), M.A. B.A…, Ph.D (distinction) Tuesday, 5 April 2011 12:30 pm to 2:00pm

I think it’s some type of Theological degree; my father is a minister. So it kind of makes sense that’s he’s lecturing about ethics in finance. But it’s weird that he’s listing all his degrees like that.

It’s retarded to use “Dr.” & “PhD” at the same time It may as well be: Dr. Gordon BA, MA, Ph.D, CFA, LOL, WTF

newsuper Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know AF talks about people with too many > qualifications, well this guy is a real-life > example: > What’s Th.L ? > > > The CFA Society of Melbourne is delighted to > invite you to a lunchtime presentation on: > > “How to be Good at Finance – Developing > Professional Ethical Character” > > Dr Gordon Preece M. Sc.& Soc., B.D.(Hons), Th.L. > (Hons), M.A. B.A…, Ph.D (distinction) > > Tuesday, 5 April 2011 > > 12:30 pm to 2:00pm One more is missing - Rev.

Why mention your BA or MA if you are a PHD. Not sure what a MSc & Soc is or a BD or a TH.L Normally people who list these things are insecure or not very aware that they looks silly. I have seen people who list IMC after their name fo god’s sake.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why mention your BA or MA if you are a PHD. Not > sure what a MSc & Soc is or a BD or a TH.L > Yeah, looks strange when you mention your BA + MA when you have a PhD. Writing both Dr and PhD is very strange too.

I knew this journalism dude that had a Master’s from Harvard but also a PhD and he would write his name something like this “Dr. John Doe, MA Harvard”.

Here’s the dude LMAO, http://www.uni-leipzig.de/journalistik2/en/lehrstuhl/mitarbeiter/marcel-machill/

Why is this guy speaking without a CFA anyway? Agreed MA BA, when you have a PhD is the sign of a huge tool.

You can’t keep it when you die.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but note that customs on this sort of thing are somewhat different in Germany (where this guy is apparently from) than in the US, the UK or Canada. Note also that it’s fair to say Germans know quite a bit about scholarship, in probably about every field imaginable.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t necessarily disagree, but note that > customs on this sort of thing are somewhat > different in Germany (where this guy is apparently > from) than in the US, the UK or Canada. Note also > that it’s fair to say Germans know quite a bit > about scholarship, in probably about every field > imaginable. Indeed. In Germany, if you have a PhD, it’s written on your ID Card and other official documents.

luisg99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s the dude LMAO, > http://www.uni-leipzig.de/journalistik2/en/lehrstu > hl/mitarbeiter/marcel-machill/ Apparently he earned a Master of Public Administration (MPA) from Harvard, but he earned a Phd in psychology(and/or journalism) from a different school. I think he just wanted to mention the name “Harvard”.

Pfft… Tenured Professor… like that’s all that hard. And yeah, I’ve heard of people getting MBAs, probably just wanted to say University of Pennsylvania. Oh gee, big deal.

(hoping you guys caught the wiff of sarcasm there) At this rate, pretty soon we’ll be looking down our noses at Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates. Ain’t AF awesome.

i wonder how much those letters cost and how much he actually paid. he could be the griftiest grifter who ever grifted.

He mentioned Harvard twice and before his PhD credentials. Sigh. The thing is, if you read the rest of his biography, it seems like he has enough credentials such that he should not have to wh0re himself out like this.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > (hoping you guys caught the wiff of sarcasm > there) > > At this rate, pretty soon we’ll be looking down > our noses at Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, and Bill > Gates. Ain’t AF awesome. Don’t know if we’re really looking down our noses at these guys. We’d all agree that you don’t get an MBA or PhD or become a tenured professor by being a lazy dumbass. However, we’re more pointing out their seeming need to show everyone just how smart they really are.

I don’t think an MPA from the Kennedy School is as impressive as most other degrees from Harvard.

Why not?