Top 1% recognition

I’m pretty much done…just have to do a few practice QBank questions and refresh before the exam. I’m more worried about FRM.

Yeah that guy from China did pass. Apparently he did so well he was the sole reason for the 35% pass rate in level one.

haha

CAFicionado Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > haha ================================================== bostonkev, is your new nick giving you good vibes???

equity_research_nds, Please stop harassing me.

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know someone who had an epileptic seizure during > the exam and was temporarily paralyzed from the > neck down. He managed to insert an unsharpened > pencil underneath his left eyelid and scratched > out the answers for the Level 3 morning session > using sheer willpower. What’s even more impressive > is that he is usually a right-eyelid person. CFAI > ended up awarding him the Sportsmanship Award of > the Year for Level 3 Candidates. I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t think this is true. My friend is a doctor and he says that it is impossible to write with your eyelids. He’s a doctor of phrenology (whatever that is), but he’s still pretty smart.

Slash Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I don’t know whether to be impressed he did the > AM > > long hand or amazed that he forgot his > calculator. > > lmao. i agree-- how can the guy forget the single > most important object to bring to the exam other > than himself? i’m guessing that he borrowed > someone’s calculator and he’s just shiiting you > > think of just a simple cash flow question. i > remember some of the questions in L1 having 5 or > more payments. so you mean to tell me that he > potentially calulated (1.12)^5 by hand? given the > accuracy required i call bs on his part. you can potentially do the questions long hand, but there are little things called time pressures and stress that would make it really difficult, almost impossible, if this kid was mr. rain man himself, he shouldn’t be in the cfa program, he should go get a scholarship to m.i.t and work for nasa calculating natural logs, standard deviations, derivatives, during an intense 6hrs of pressure and getting in the top 1% by hand??? i am going to call bs on this as well!!!

30 minutes before the L1 exam, someone told me that the test was in English. Learnt English in 30 mins flat and passed the test.

i thoink you absolutely coculd pass w/o a calculator. i used mine on maybe 30 of the questions in l1… thats stil leaves 87.5% of the questions out there, assuming he couldnt do any of the non calc ones w/o a calc, which is a garbage assumption

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know someone who had an epileptic seizure during > the exam and was temporarily paralyzed from the > neck down. He managed to insert an unsharpened > pencil underneath his left eyelid and scratched > out the answers for the Level 3 morning session > using sheer willpower. What’s even more impressive > is that he is usually a right-eyelid person. CFAI > ended up awarding him the Sportsmanship Award of > the Year for Level 3 Candidates. That reminds of Elder Scroll IV : Oblivion on PS3 , with willpower, strength, agility, wisdom… etc looooooooool

its not that crazy guys. without knowing formulas 100% i can still see the numbers that are supposed to be used in the calculation and work out which answer is correct based on my general idea of the formula (i’d say i can get it between 50/50 for any question) and i don’t think that i’m a superhero. if he’s a math major, it should be no problem. you’re telling me that most you guys, the future of finance, can’t do multiplication and division in your head? if so, consider taking liberal arts and changing careers. its not like i’m another one of these ‘cocky’ guys with 70+ across the board either… just an average guy who can do some math.

MattLikesAnalysis, you are correct, if you practice doing some of the numerical problems in your head, you can do a significant portion (> 50%) of the calculation without a calculator. You will have a tough time doing triangular fx arbitrage this way though. Same goes for finding value of an FRA.

anyway, my golf pencil with no sharpener story was true, AFAIK

farley013 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I know someone who had an epileptic seizure during > the exam and was temporarily paralyzed from the > neck down. He managed to insert an unsharpened > pencil underneath his left eyelid and scratched > out the answers for the Level 3 morning session > using sheer willpower. What’s even more impressive > is that he is usually a right-eyelid person. CFAI > ended up awarding him the Sportsmanship Award of > the Year for Level 3 Candidates. This might just be the only inside joke on AF that my wife has ever laughed at as hard as me!