Top 5 books

I know we had threads on this before, but new books come out, opinions change blah blah blah…

I’ll phrase it differently too. if you were/are a parent, what 5 books would you want your kid to have read, or which books do you wish you would read earlier in your life? Whether it’s to encourage self actualization, become finance bsd or what have you. I’ve been pretty limited to business themed books mainly, so what comes to mind:

Barbarians at the Gate

7 habits of highly effective people (or Power of Habit)

Antifragile + Black Swan (i’d consider it part 1 and part 2 of the same book)

Random Walk down Wall Street

Rich Dad Poor Dad (laugh, but a few of my non-finance friends found it very eye opening and accessible)

For entertainment purposes I’ll say Michael Lewis, but I couldnt choose just one lol.

Cmon people, need to refresh my Kindle…

1. Lynch - One Up on Wall St

2. O’Neil - How to Make Money in Stocks

3. Greenblatt - You can be a stock market genius

4. Graham & Dodd - Security Analysis

5. Graham - intelligent investor

now go invest in stocks my boy!

Fountainhead kid. Ayn Rand is dropping straight troof in that one.

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator. Will always be the best book ever written on trading.

I also enjoyed Capital in the 21st Century and the Ascent of Money but they probably aren’t top 5. Just interesting.

I’m currently working through: Extraordinary Delusions & the Madness of Crowds, Irrational Exuberance, Alchemy of Finance and Intelligent Investor. Will let you know when I’m done.

Manias panics and crashes

Market wizards (and the hedge fund one too)

richest man in babylon

the prince

art of war/48 laws of power

think and grow rich

gotta read the classics!

Actually I read Atlas Shrugged and very much enjoyed it. Should check this one out.

Poor Charlie’s almanac - Charlie munger

The Intelligent Investor - Benjamin Graham

How to win friends and influence people - dale carnigie

the art of war - sun tzu

richest man in Babylon - Clason

The Universe in a Nutshell

Elegant Universe

Lord of the Rings

Game of Thrones

The Third Law Trilogy

(Since those comprise 13 books, I’ll go on.)

The Stand

Dune

Childhood’s End

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

(I could go on. Currently reading the Dark Tower series. Good stuff.)

STL - you were probably one of the kids at the exam, having hard time following instructions to drop the pencil weren’t you? Jokes aside, The Elegant Universe seems like a nice change of pace for me, I’ll get my hands on that.

First thoughts: Animal Farm, Atlas Shrugged, 1984, The Diaries of Anne Frank, Fooled by Randomness.

bible

quran

dictionary

I’ve read both, both are good, neigh great, but Fountainhead would be #1

No, I want my kids to read all those books, wish I had read them sooner, and they all have financial/self help aspects to them.

Thisis a must read

Atlas shrugged/fountainhead

unbeatable mind/8 weeks to sealfit

Tao te Ching/bhagavad Gita

three pillars of zen/zen mind,beginners mind

meditations/the obstacle is the way

primal blueprint

as a man of thinketh/mans search for meaning

the long walk

lone suvivor

liberty defined

read these and you’ll be unfucked, squared away and born again hard.

Did you mean The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercombie)?.. if you did, you are awsome

Never Eat Alone.

Duh the CFA curriculum…

A Brief History of Time

Rich Dad Poor Dad (was better when I was younger)

Intelligent Investor

The Fountainhead

The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov is a must for everyone

The underground masterpiece of twentieth-century Russian fiction, Mikhail Bulgakov’s THE MASTER AND MARGARITA was written during Stalin’s regime and could not be published until many years after its author’s death. When the devil arrives in 1930s Moscow, consorting with a retinue of odd associates—including a talking black cat, an assassin, and a beautiful naked witch—his antics wreak havoc among the literary elite of the world capital of atheism. Meanwhile, the Master, author of an unpublished novel about Jesus and Pontius Pilate, languishes in despair in a pyschiatric hospital, while his devoted lover, Margarita, decides to sell her soul to save him. As Bulgakov’s dazzlingly exuberant narrative weaves back and forth between Moscow and ancient Jerusalem, studded with scenes ranging from a giddy Satanic ball to the murder of Judas in Gethsemane, Margarita’s enduring love for the Master joins the strands of plot across space and time.