Top B-Schools for Finance

uChicago, Columbia, NYU, MIT, Wharton would be my top schools right now if I wanted an MBA in finance. Obviously for a more well rounded education I would add HBS and Stanford to those 5

If you want to learn complex areas of finance, you don’t go for an MBA. If you want to have a job in finance, then a top MBA is a good route. Therefore, if you’re at an MBA program, then your best chance for a desired position will absolutely mean that HBS is in the top 5. This whole picking an MBA program because their finance classes is a bit stupid. Go for the school that will help you get the job you want.

NYU Part-time MBA is in top 500 4 sure… fun fun fun fun tomorrow is fri-day and afetwards is sat-ur-day… i see my friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiends

mossy695 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- they also have an mfe program. please add those numbers.

MFE/MSF/MSE programs are generally not considered “B-schools.”

For certain areas of finance, having specialized degrees will be more beneficial than having an MBA. Consider programs like MIT Sloan and Princeton’s MFin.

The 2011 WTF Top 15 Finance MBA Rankings: 1. CFAI 2. CFAI 3. CFAI 4. CFAI 5. CFAI 6. CFAI 7. CFAI 8. CFAI 9. CFAI 10. CFAI 11. CFAI 12.CFAI 13. CFAI 14. CFAI 15. CFAI

mossy695 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MFE/MSF/MSE programs are generally not considered > “B-schools.” you’re talking about number of grads who go into finance and you asked why the numbers were so low. its because they have a great mfe program that takes away from having a finance-oriented mba class.

That and having MIT on your resume can’t totally hurt even if it was not a top finance school.

I’ve said this before but I found a lot of benefits to going to a top “non-finance” b-school. Less competition for things like on-campus interviews, finance competition spots, and club leadership roles in campus clubs. We had an investment fund and a bunch of alumni at funds so it worked out pretty well.

natural light- where did you go to school?

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mossy695 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > MFE/MSF/MSE programs are generally not > considered > > “B-schools.” > > > you’re talking about number of grads who go into > finance and you asked why the numbers were so low. > its because they have a great mfe program that > takes away from having a finance-oriented mba > class. I’d buy that if people looked first at which school they’d like to attend, and then which program. But I think most people focus first on the program and then the school. I think most people who are recruiting into MBA programs will look at a variety of schools’ MBA programs and apply there versus finding a school they like, ie Sloan, and then applying for the various grad programs there. For this reason I find it more useful to segment the masters programs at a school and focus just on the MBA stats.

> you’re talking about number of grads who go into > finance and you asked why the numbers were so low. > its because they have a great mfe program that > takes away from having a finance-oriented mba > class. I don’t think this is right. MBA and MFE programs have pretty distinct applicant pools, and the graduates of these programs tend to pursue different careers. There is definitely *some* overlap. However in general, if you are looking to hire IB associates, you are not going to recruit from MFE programs. Similarly, if you want option model programmers, you are not going to recruit from MBA programs. MFEs and MBAs are usually different programs offered by business schools. So for academic ranking purposes, MFE stuff would be relevant to business school finance rankings. However, from a career perspective, MFEs are different from MBAs.

For jobs at hedge funds and investment management firms, the top 5 MBA programs are: 1. HBS 2. Wharton 3. Booth 4. Columbia 5. Stanford

lol we all sound like MBA consultants who ourselves went to one of these schools. I love forums.