Topic Area Weights for the CFA Exam

https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/courseofstudy/topicareaweights.html it seems a bit iffy for level 2, the high end of everything means the exam will be worth 150% Broad ranges i must say. If i have to skip certain things, i just want to know which ones are okay to skip. for instance for L1 ppl said, just do FSA, FI, ethics and quant to pass, and I only focused on that. Can someone help with the imp parts of L2 exam and how to spend my limited study time on them?

pepp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/courseofstudy > /topicareaweights.html > > > it seems a bit iffy for level 2, the high end of > everything means the exam will be worth 150% > > Broad ranges i must say. If i have to skip certain > things, i just want to know which ones are okay to > skip. for instance for L1 ppl said, just do FSA, > FI, ethics and quant to pass, and I only focused > on that. Can someone help with the imp parts of L2 > exam and how to spend my limited study time on > them? Unfortunately, trying to game the L2 exam isn’t a viable possibility. It’s generally regarded as being significantly more difficult. In L1, the topics are set pretty fine. In other words, you might have only 1 or two questions (< 1%) on any given small topic. But the L2 test is based on item sets (a set of 6 questions that all draw on the same 1 page or so vignette). So, missing a topic can result in you going 5% in the hole right off the bat. The best example this year around was two questions on Balance of Payments, which is a trivial part of the overall BOK. There’s a long tradition of CFAI asking a whole series of questions on a relatively minor topic (check out last year’s posts about Treynor-Black). So, you have to plan on knowing ALL of it.

pepp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/courseofstudy > /topicareaweights.html > > > it seems a bit iffy for level 2, the high end of > everything means the exam will be worth 150% > > Broad ranges i must say. If i have to skip certain > things, i just want to know which ones are okay to > skip. for instance for L1 ppl said, just do FSA, > FI, ethics and quant to pass, and I only focused > on that. Can someone help with the imp parts of L2 > exam and how to spend my limited study time on > them? You’re talking about this now? The L2 08 results aren’t out for another week. You’ve got plenty of time (too much) so why you feel you “have to skip certain things” is beyond me. To answer your question Ethics, FSA (incl. corp finance) and equity are the biggies but they could easily offer 3 sets on (say) quant (15%) which would make the test almost impossibel to pass if you’ve got no idea on it. Note: quant could equally be econ, pm etc. By the way if you think you can get away with only learning the big sections of the topics you’ll likelyu get found out. Search for threads on balance of payments, pm and the lack of time series etc etc if you don’t believe me. Again though you’ve got 10 months until the test. Plenty of time to rake a decent break, do something else and still cover everyting.

Hurricane Wrote: > > You’re talking about this now? The L2 08 results > aren’t out for another week. > > You’ve got plenty of time (too much) so why you > feel you “have to skip certain things” is beyond > me. > um huh … perphas cuz i am lazy. i see ppl asking how early to start to pass, i am asking what’s the latest i can start to pass, i dont mind skipping a ton of material cuz i am sure none of all this tomes of book knowledge are being used in jobs. my job is not finance related anyways, and passing l1 ain’t getting me no job to learn l2 material at job. so thats why my goal here is to pass l2 and not give my life away. whats the easiest way?

Can start in Feb and will have enough time. Persobnally I’d use Schweser (or whatever) and study everythibng in it. I don’t get the logic of missing a whole section. If it’s 5% its still going to be tough to get back from scoring 2/6 in one item set (with three options there is a 1/3 chance based on total guess work). If they increase it to 10% youre score “should be” 4/12. If they go for 3 sets then 6/18 makes teh exam look very hard to me. You’re call though. As I said the biggest sections are fsa (which includes corp finance), equity and ethics. But if you skipped FI (or derivatives) that was 10% of the exam gone.

good advice, also i dont think i would skip over any section like Derivatives or FI or something like that, its just that I won’t be spending too much time trying to do them as through as I want to be in FSA, ethics, corp finance and Equity now. I’ll leave them for last and if time permits i’ll do my best. Happened kinda with econ, alt investments etc for level I.

March is the lastest can start.

The standard of just >70% is still pretty mediocre, in my opinion. My philosophy: Aim for 100% in all sections, possibly supplemented by books and papers. This is a “start.”

busprof Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Unfortunately, trying to game the L2 exam isn’t a > viable possibility. It’s generally regarded as > being significantly more difficult. > > In L1, the topics are set pretty fine. In other > words, you might have only 1 or two questions (< > 1%) on any given small topic. But the L2 test is > based on item sets (a set of 6 questions that all > draw on the same 1 page or so vignette). So, > missing a topic can result in you going 5% in the > hole right off the bat. The best example this > year around was two questions on Balance of > Payments, which is a trivial part of the overall > BOK. > > There’s a long tradition of CFAI asking a whole > series of questions on a relatively minor topic > (check out last year’s posts about Treynor-Black). > So, you have to plan on knowing ALL of it. busprof, Excellent and informative comments as always (like a few other veteran LII-ers such as Black Swan). I also enjoy and learn much from reading your blog, which you probably want to keep unknown.

Thanks. Nice to be appreciated, but my posts pale in number compared to the Big Guys. I’m always amazed by the number of people who give of their time for no other reason than “love of the game” (I realize some are also studying for the exam, but that doesn’t explain the amount of time some obviously spend on this forum) It’d be interesting to see the top posters by overall number of posts (I mean after Joey, who has over 11,000 posts all by his lonesome). BTW - nice pun (intended or not)

Of course the pun was intended, I didn’t want the capitalization effect to give it away to anyone who isn’t such an internet nerd as I am. :stuck_out_tongue: