Topic weights

Hi I am writing for the first time in June. Is it correct that some sections count more heavily than others- hence I should focus on those more? Does any one know the weightings/ which sections I need to pay more attention to? thank you. janesha

http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/courseofstudy/Pages/topic_area_weights.aspx

No they’re all equal, the heavier books have extra blank pages for making notes. I keep those pages close to my phone.

just focus on accounting and you should be fine

Based o my experience, FSA and equity have a large weight on the exam. Ethics is also very important. Make sure you know those parts well.

AndrewUNH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > just focus on accounting and you should be fine while some topics do have more weight than others, the are also taugh in less pages… when i took level I, i did a spread sheet showing the ratio of points to pages…so basiclly a size adjustement…the ratio you get is very close on all topic… some topics had a higher points/pages ratio, but they also were more difficult thus requiring more time to study those pages… so i did a second measure which is (point/pages)/time to read page which is like your PEG ratio from equity, and turns out they are all pretty much the same… the lesson? yes some topics carry more weight and you would be toast if you go to the exam not knowing them, and some topics dont carry much and you can get by if you do not know them but when it comes to the marginal gain from an hour of studying, it is all the same, in a matter of fact if you do not have to know all the material, you might be better off learning it all lightly rather than learning a topic heavily due to the fact that the more hours you put into a topic the less marginal gain you get

I’m sorry, but the above is just not true. Not all topics are born equal when it comes to Level I. Calculate the actual exam weighting per page and you will find out that Ethics is (on a per-page-measure) more than _twice_ as important than anything else. The least relevant topics on that measure are clearly Economics and Portfolio Management. Overall though, be aware that Ethics, FRA and Equity/FI alone make up 57 % of the Level I exam. So do NOT “just focus on accounting”, focus on getting >50% everywhere and try to get >70% in the most important topics (if you have limited time; elsewise just go for >70% overall).

dsp, my point was that accounting is the most difficult area and therefore you will likely be focusing the most on that section. obviously you need to know everything else too.

dsp Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sorry, but the above is just not true. Not all > topics are born equal when it comes to Level I. > > Calculate the actual exam weighting per page and > you will find out that Ethics is (on a > per-page-measure) more than _twice_ as important > than anything else. This is correct. And don’t forget the ethics adjustment. Make sure that you know ethics cold.