SRK

Who was that zero guy?? I don’t remember nothing about him.

Did you have to shout their names at me?

My favorite mathematician? A tie between John Allen Paulos, Isaac Newton, and S2000magician.

S2000magician is on top of my list for sure. Respect!!

Lol, I think capital letters always mean something of significance.

Clausius is one of my favorites. He discovered (or at least named) my favorite concept in physics.

Srinivasa Ramanujan was quite impressive. He focussed primarily on mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions, and was able to see patterns instantly that escaped everyone else. Many of his results are curiosities – such as the Hardy-Ramanujan number* – but others were as profound as anything produced by Gauss, Euler, or Jacobi.

*On one occasion when Hardy visited Ramanujan in hospital . . . well . . . in Hardy’s words:

I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavorable omen. “No”, he replied, “it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways.”

Ramanujan was correct, of course:

1,729 = 1³ + 12³ = 9³ + 10³.

I remember reading this somewhere. Quite a genious. And very interesting personal life. I’m looking forward to see movie based on his life.

The (US) television series Numb3rs had a mathematician – Amita Ramanujan – played by Navi Rawat.

I don’t know if she were supposed to have been related to Srinivasa Ramanujan.

I do know that she was a lot cuter than he was.

^^ Never happened.

has atush always been like this and I just missed it? Or has he gotten kind of a bit like RR lately.

Anywho, besides people who study math I dont think the majority of people in the east or west could name famous people in math. However I would imagine people in the field are aware of both (as s2k shows)

atush = RR (99% confidence)

Not remotely.

I literally dont think I can name one mathmatician, unless you count S2000. (Also, might I add that your picture on your website is SPECTACULAR, big fan of the old time late 80s early 90s picture)

I could name some Physicists (but not many) due to some late night wikipedia binges, but science is certainly done more in the background. Its kind of sad everyone knows Steve Jobs but we dont know people who make real contributions to the advancement of our species.

^ in Greek civilization there were many but they weren’t hardcore mathematicians because they were mixed bag. Physicist plus mathematicians. Like thales and Pythagoras.