Total Compensation sell side vs. buy side

How much do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years make in total compensation on the buy side vs. the sell side (assuming middle/front office) middle office on sell side = S&T analytics (pricing, structuring) middle office on buy side (long/short, long only) = Quantitative Research/ Portfolio Management front office on sell side = sales, trader, sales-trader, Investment Banking front office on buy side (long/short, long only) = Fundamental Research Assumptions: middle office sell side total comp (1st, 2nd, 3rd): 70k, 80k, 90k middle office buy side total comp (1st, 2nd, 3rd): 100k, 150k, 300k front office sell side total comp (1st, 2nd, 3rd): 100k, 120k, 140k front office buy side total comp (1st, 2nd, 3rd): 120k, 200k, 400k

You consider pms to be middleoffice?

How old would you be at 1st 2nd 3rd year? What’s the next step…assuming it isnt 4th & 5th year…?

> middle office sell side total comp (1st, 2nd, > 3rd): 70k, 80k, 90k > middle office buy side total comp (1st, 2nd, 3rd): > 100k, 150k, 300k > > front office sell side total comp (1st, 2nd, 3rd): > 100k, 120k, 140k > front office buy side total comp (1st, 2nd, 3rd): > 120k, 200k, 400k I think front office sell-side analysts generally earn more than buy-side analysts.

glassdoor.com look it up

Jcole, Portfolio Management <> Portfolio Manager

I think those numbers are right on! (It’s still 2007, right?)

Your 2nd and 3rd year numbers are wayyyy too high. Maybe an incremental increase of 20-30k but not the 80k and 200k #s you’re throwing up.

wow those salaries are increasing at about 10-20% per year!! That is really amazing. To be honest, these numbers cannot be right. How can anyone have their salaries increase at that rate? ITERACOM.COM, I looked at glassdoor and the portfolio managers of JP Morgan, Goldman, etc are between $110,000 to $130,000. I work in the west coast and the portfolio managers at my firm make around $110,000 and portfolio analysts make around $60,000. Some portfolio managers with lots of experience and an MBA from top universities are either directors or MDs at those top firms. And according to glassdoor, they make around $200,000 which sounds about right. @itercaom.com, I may be wrong or I just may be working at a not so stellar firm doing trash work but please correct me on these figures because this forum is full of posts of PMs and analysts making $150,000+ and PMs making $250,000+. Feel like I am really getting screwed here. thanks man.

A useful rule of life: don’t believe everything you hear. Particularly on online forums.

Your Sell Side S&T (pricing/analytics) numbers are definatley correct. I was just given an offer in upwards of that ball park…

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A useful rule of life: don’t believe everything > you hear. Particularly on online forums. ^including this^

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A useful rule of life: don’t believe everything > you hear. Particularly on online forums. Let me support this statement by quoting this: “Read [listen] not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider.” -Sir Francis Bacon-

infinitybenzo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wow those salaries are increasing at about 10-20% > per year!! That is really amazing. To be honest, > these numbers cannot be right. How can anyone > have their salaries increase at that rate? > ITERACOM.COM, I looked at glassdoor and the > portfolio managers of JP Morgan, Goldman, etc are > between $110,000 to $130,000. I work in the west > coast and the portfolio managers at my firm make > around $110,000 and portfolio analysts make around > $60,000. > > Some portfolio managers with lots of experience > and an MBA from top universities are either > directors or MDs at those top firms. And > according to glassdoor, they make around $200,000 > which sounds about right. > > @itercaom.com, I may be wrong or I just may be > working at a not so stellar firm doing trash work > but please correct me on these figures because > this forum is full of posts of PMs and analysts > making $150,000+ and PMs making $250,000+. Feel > like I am really getting screwed here. thanks > man. Is this base or all in? What age are we talking here? Would expect some difference if it is a 30yr PM or a 40yr PM.

I’m assuming this is a joke. 300k for middle office with 3 years experience. Is there a punch line I’m missing?

Where did these numbers come from anyway? Forgive my skepticism.

@Muddahudda Well to become a PM at my firm you need at least 10years of experience so they must be at minimum 32 years old. The salary is pretty much stagnant. Never seen anyone in my firm or my friends that had their salary jumped 10% year after year. Going from junior analyst to portfolio analyst, yeah there is a jump but the following year, no increase in salary. And I am talking about total compensation. @ohai Are you talking about my numbers?

Sorry - I meant the numbers from the original post. Your numbers are sane - I even think that some of them are on the low side.

Oh I see. yeah maybe because I am in the west coast. But the original post numbers are pretty insane.

no 3rd year analyst makes 400k, not even in PE mega funds. /credibility of op