Travel

alone or group or significant other or family? What type of traveler are you? Or which type do you prefer and why? I always wanted to travel but never got around doing it and I feel like traveling alone would be boring and suck. Are contrarians that would disagree? Thanks

I’ve traveled a lot alone, I personally think it’s awesome. I know a lot of the independent lifestyle / travel bloggers do it as well and love it. That being said, it depends largely on what type of person you are. I’m completely comfortable just taking in the scenes on my own, and typically enjoy the quiet. At the same time, I’m also really outgoing and have no problem with going out to a bar solo, it’s SOOOOO easy to make friends and party your ass off when you’re foreign at bars, done it many times. Linked up with Aussies in Bali, Italians in Hong Kong, locals in Costa Rica during Fiesta de las Palmares, always a great time. In my mind actually much better and much more memorable than if I’d just been sitting at a bar with my friend instead of hanging out with people I from another country. Even when you’re just fast packing around with a backpack between hotels and such, you can hardly stop at a good open air restaurant off the beaten path without starting up conversations with other travelers and building an immediate camaraderie. I also, usually can think of at least one or two people I know in any given region to call up and meet with. For instance in Bali, I didn’t necessarily know anyone, but I realized one of the independent lifestyle bloggers I follow had just moved there with other friends, so we met up a couple nights for beers which was awesome. But like I said, it comes down to the individual, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the norm in that regard. Traveling with sig other and family’s always great too. Personally I’d say traveling with your GF is the best, but traveling with my family usually winds up being a balance where I go out with the family during the day, then split off at night to hit up the bars solo.

It depends. Backpacking: (I agree with Black Swan) I’ve backpacked South America with a group of my best friends and I also did a large portion on my own. I definitely preferred on my own - although it was a blast with my friends too. I think you meet more people and experience way more (and your on your own agenda) when traveling alone. Resort vacation in the Caribbean: Definitely family and/or friends

Have done all but obviously depends on the place. Historical places (or low budgets and mooching off the parents) I’d say family. Romantic places obviously significant other - I wouldn’t recommend going to Venice with your bros. Group generally is most fun because you’ll be able to share experiences after you get home. Doubt many people will want to hear endless stories of a trip you took by yourself they can’t relate to. Plus probably safer if you’re planning on going out at night. Alone can be very hit and miss but has potential to be the most rewarding. I’ve always been hesitant to do it but the few times I have it’s been phenomenal. Forces you to interact with locals or other travelers, (unless you’re a hermit and that’s not your thing) and never any dissension, untimely bathroom breaks, etc. I try to plan trips to foreign places where I know a few people so I can travel alone but meet up with friends to get the best of both.

I like travelling alone, that’s when you really explore everything in your journey. When you are alone - you don’t fear being little stupid and experimenting and you are always eager to meet new people, making new friends etc etc. You really put your best efforts in juicing the most out of your travel, when you travel alone. It’s nice to go with family or the significant other but that’s a different experience as you will be totally busy with them and won’t care much about exploring your surroundings. So, it depends, whether you are going for “Into the Wild” kinda trip or the “Honeymooners” kinda trip.

I prefer travelling alone, because then you are not tied down with someone else and their plans. Its easy to meet people traveling. Also once I fought with my close friend when I was on a trip (towards the end) and we have actually not really spoken since. So I am a bit hesitant traveling with close friends. Fighting while traveling can be more traumatic to the relationship since you are in unfamiliar territory for both parties.

I have traveled a lot but never alone. this is something I want to experience.

smuggycfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have traveled a lot but never alone. this is > something I want to experience. You are def missing out. Some of my best experiences have been traveling alone, though I am rarely ever “alone” and always end up hanging out with some random group of people. People are actually more eager to approach you and be friendly when they see you are alone, probably because they feel some empathy towards you being lonely.

Black Swan, What do you do for work and how do you have the opportunity to travel that much? I wanted to backpack Europe for 3 months before starting full-time work but the offer was rescinded with the recession so I had to put it on hold. Now I am trying to work towards early retirement but I won’t really be all that young to just party it up in bars at that point I don’t think :frowning:

johnnyBuz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Now I am trying to work towards early retirement > but I won’t really be all that young to just party > it up in bars at that point I don’t think :frowning: Europe is pretty much age-blind.

BangBusDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > johnnyBuz Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Now I am trying to work towards early > retirement > > but I won’t really be all that young to just > party > > it up in bars at that point I don’t think :frowning: > > > Europe is pretty much age-blind. +1 Burlesconi can still pull 18 y/o’s