Trump gets dumped...by Mitch McConnell

The New Yorker had a great article on Mitch McConnell and how he left the sinking ship like a rat (by denouncing Trump after watching his shenanigans for 4 years). TNY used different words but that’s the message of the article.
Politics and politicians astonish me. I don’t get how can someone (e.g. Mitch) support and agree with someone (e.g. Trump) for the longest time and then make a complete U-turn. And not get called out on it by voters?

I got to give it to Lindsey Graham for standing beside Trump. That’s a ballsy move. Either he is counting on some major comeback in 2024. Or he is just a very loyal person. I’d guess it’s more the former.

I suspect it’s politics as normal.
A Republican is expected to support the Republican Party, and whoever is the leader of that party. However, since DJT is no longer leader of the Party, you’re now allowed to dump him (as have many of the other Republicans who always knew he was a huckster, but weren’t allowed to say so because of The Party).

Well it’s partly his power over the party. But his power over voters still remains