TTS - chick car or not?

Lexus SC is a true girl car.

TTS is a nice car but it is a chick car and not very fast.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hayek Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > TT is up there with the Miata in terms of > > girliness. Men just can’t drive it, no matter > how > > good the car is. > > > WTF, dude, Miata’s are badass. There probably > isn’t a better handling car except the Lotus Elise > south of 50k. yessir, ass man is obviously an enthusiast. s2000s and cooper s’ do well too at that pricepoint in autox.

When I was Auto-x-ing there was an instructer there in a Toyota Paseo absolutely SCHOOLING track prepped Evo’s/STi’s/Miata’s. It’s crazy what a decent chassis and a very skilled driver can do.

Is Mini a chick car?

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is Mini a chick car? Borderline at best. Guys that appreciate the machine it is will respect it, but generally considered on par with a tts or maybe a little better given the following.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Palantir Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Is Mini a chick car? > > > Borderline at best. Guys that appreciate the > machine it is will respect it, but generally > considered on par with a tts or maybe a little > better given the following. Agreed. Mini is a great machine but so damn cute. Handles incredibly, still FWD which is autotragic.

Depends on what sort of Mini. Base convertible is sort of a chick car. Some souped up versions are probably not so much of chick cars.

Hayek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TT is up there with the Miata in terms of > girliness. Men just can’t drive it, no matter how > good the car is. My customized Miata in Gran Turismo 3 was untouchable by anything except the F1 cars.

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is Mini a chick car? Again, if you have to ask, the answer is yes.

I agree that the Miata is a good car, but that doesn’t save it from being a girl’s car. Men who drive them have my respect, they have somehow managed to set aside the shame they feel when climbing into it and are able to enjoy a great little car.

Go with the Nissan GT-R!

I like that idea - the GT-R is faster around the Nürburgring than a 911 turbo. Pretty good for a Datsun :slight_smile:

Since there is no cars thread - I have to say the Hyundai Equus is probably one of the best looking cars I’ve seen. I wish they sold it here with the hood ornament. Car seems fit for a head of state or something.

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Since there is no cars thread - I have to say the > Hyundai Equus is probably one of the best looking > cars I’ve seen. I wish they sold it here with the > hood ornament. Car seems fit for a head of state > or something. Hyundai and Kia are making some pretty nice looking cars these days. Apparently the quality and safety are quite good now too. I still have a really hard time with a $50,000 + Hyundai though.

The one thing less cool than driving a chick car is driving a cheap car that’s trying to look like an expensive one. It’s like buying a knock-off watch. No class.

You have it sort of backwards. Korean companies are actually making good cars. However, they still carry a “cheap car” stereotype, particularly among US consumers. Equus/Genesis are halo vehicles, i.e. they are meant to increase brand prestige in general, and not necessarily to make money by themselves. This is why Hyundai didn’t introduce a luxury brand, like Lexus, Acura or Infiniti. They want people to associate their high end cars with their low end cars. In the 1980s, Japanese cars were like Korean cars - people thought they were cheap crap. Today, it’s very different. The same thing is going to happen for Korean cars.

I don’t disagree with you that Hyundai has improved their brand substantially over the last decade. I rented one a few months back and was presently surprised. However, they’re still well below the standard set by Japanese manufacturers and light years away from even being mentioned in the same sentence as the Germans. Hyundai could likely carve out a nice little niche for itself as a very affordable foreign manufacturer of entry level cars, but pushing their price up over 50K is silly. You can pick up an Audi, BMW, or Merc for that price and I will laugh at anyone who spends that kind of money on a korean badge. Would anyone on this forum proudly spend their own money on a $50K + korean car? German engineering, build quality, and racing pedigree trumps korean knockoffs every day of the week.

Eh, now that’s just trolling. No further response necessary…

I think Hyundai should have shot off a new luxury brand… I think they would have been more succesful with these luxury/higher-end cars.