UCB Haas MBA insights?

Can someone give some insight to the quality of Haas’ MBA program? I know that it only recently got to Top 10 but im curious about the ppl’s perception and experience about the program. I heard that Berkeley has some pretty good recognition throughout Asia, but would something like this be important if one is interested in returning to Asia eventually in the future? I just came bak from an info session and it doesn’t seem that Haas’ alumni network is that strong, which makes me doubt the actual practical value of an MBA from non Top-5 schools.

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Can someone give some insight to the quality of > Haas’ MBA program? I know that it only recently > got to Top 10 but im curious about the ppl’s > perception and experience about the program. > > I heard that Berkeley has some pretty good > recognition throughout Asia, but would something > like this be important if one is interested in > returning to Asia eventually in the future? > > I just came bak from an info session and it > doesn’t seem that Haas’ alumni network is that > strong, which makes me doubt the actual practical > value of an MBA from non Top-5 schools. Top 15 and you should be ok. Yes ideally everyone would like to go to H/S/W. However, there are a number of elite schools and any in the top 15 is good. Not saying that other schools outside the top 15 aren’t as good. But an employer is going to use the top schools as a resume screen. Out of the top 15, you should decide which school will fit your needs best. You said you want to focus on Asia. Haas or Stanford would be great schools for these connections. Honestly when you get to that level, unless your going to H/S/W, IMO it doesn’t really matter that much. Again, focus on which school will boost YOUR specific needs rather than what Businessweek or US News ranked the school at. Who cares if its # 5 vs # 7.

It depends on what part of Asia you are thinking about. In a country with a developed financial industry like Hong Kong, people will probably care about your Haas MBA. In less developed countries, people tend to not distinguish between “US MBAs” other than the really famous ones like Harvard or Stanford.

I went there. I friggin loved it. Great people. I can’t tell you how important that is considering all the study groups and class participation–one douche can ruin it all. I thought the alumni network was pretty good, def better than my undergrad’s, but not sure how it stacks up against the other good MBA programs. Heard good things about the networks at HBS and Dartmouth. During my job search, I was reaching out to alums from Haas MBA (FT and PT alum), Haas undergrad, and then general Berkeley undergrad and I was pretty happy with the results. Obviously not everyone responded, but I was able to get a ton of informational interviews. I think in general most MBA alum are pretty loyal. At my hedge fund now, there are several different sector groups, but each group consists of people from mostly the same school, so your group just goes back to its same school for interns and new hires.