Update on Excel 2003 vs 2007

So, have any of your firms chosen to upgrade to Excel 2007 yet?

Not yet, but I’m dreading the day! I helped a friend with an Excel project and I didn’t know she had 2007. Took me 3x’s as long b/c all of the buttons have been moved around …

Mine has - takes a bit of getting used to, but shortcut keys are much easier as it shows you what to key in.

My firm was upgraded to Excel 2007 a while back. I initially hated the ribbon but since it can be minimize it’s all good. I have notice great improvements, including the quick access toolbar. Interesting improvement that should be mentioned: a. Excel 2003 has a worksheet size limit of 64K rows and 256 columns. Excel 2007 has 1,048K rows and 65K columns. b. You can nest up to 64 IF statements in a cell as oppose to 7 in Excel 2003. c. Superior graphics and colors. The only problem I have is that not all my business partners or suppliers have upgraded so when exchanging data in excel I still have to save my workbook as 2003 not as Excel 2007. Cheers

I’m the only one in my firm that has 2007. Everyone else is resisting the change, which is really annoying, because I have to save files as 2003 due to some compatibility issues we’ve had. I agree w/thommo77. Now that I’m used to it, I like it better.

the company i’m with has upgraded to excel 2007. all in all i think the overhauled interface is pretty damn stupid but it’s not a big deal for me in terms of operability.

not only that, but the 2007 is slower, more prone to crashes (dont even try to read files over a network) and we’ve detected a calculus error here and there. My company will NEVER change to 2007.

We upgraded… it ruined almost all the macros i’d written for 03, so that was awesome. But after i got them updated I like it better. The extra rows and the IF statements were big time. The new pivot tables take some getting used to.

We upgraded to MatLab R2009b, ohh wait…does that count?

For those of you who have upgraded but still save as 2003, be aware that your workbooks could have errors that you cannot see unless you actually go into each cell and view the formula. When you view a worksheet on the screen, or print it out, it appears to be correctly populated with numbers. When you actually go into the cells, however, they contain #N/A. Apparently, it happens with formulas from 2003 that required some of the analysis tool kits.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/ Looks like Excel 2010 still has the ribbon. I guess one should just get used to it…

I am set to be the department guinea pig for excel 2007. Dude, it better not ruin my 2003 macros!

I am also the only one here with 2007 and have to save as 2003 when I send things out. Luckily for me the learning curve was short since I’d installed it at home last year for a class project. However, I noticed that some of my work code failed! And this is known to MS. For example, apparently the filesearch object has been deprecated for Excel 2007, which I was using. See particularly the posts from Microsoft MVP “Jon”. Just waiting to see what other ticking time bombs there might be. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/isvvba/thread/a450830d-4fc3-4f4e-aee2-03f7994369d6 here’s someone who was really affected by this: “I can’t believe what I am reading here. I just upgraded my machine to Excel 2007 and ran into the same problem discussed in this thread. Why on earth would Microsoft remove something that people have written into their tools? I thought one of the guarantees about using Microsoft products for development was that forward compatibility was guaranteed. Isn’t that why we go to so much trouble to write code the way Microsoft wants us to, so we know the code will still work in future versions? When I think of all the times in the past we got our hands slapped by Microsoft for circumventing their API and breaking in future versions, I’m beginning to wonder, what’s the point? Even if we do follow their prescribed advice, we are still hosed. We have created several tools at my company that depend on FileSearch; and we have distributed these tools to thousands of people within the company. Providing us with different ways to accomplish the same task that FileSearch performed for us doesn’t help us; we still have to distribute the re-written tool to thousands of people and we don’t know who these thousands of people are. And, because we don’t know who these thousands of people are, we are either going to get hit with thousands of Support calls or people will stop using our tools.”

I started working on 07 last week. My productivity has dropped by at least 50%, most of which is due to continuously scrolling through all the d@mn ribbons that make no sense whatsoever.

I wonder if a lot of companies will skip 2007 all together and go straight to 2010 next year.

It’s nice that when you press Alt, all the required keystrokes are highlighted for each area, but the ribbon is still darned confusing. I doubt people will go to 2010 for a long time.

regarding the ribbon, I usually use google to figure out how to do what I want as it’s quicker than floundering around with F1. There is a good tutorial here http://www.fgcu.edu/support/office2007/Excel/gettingstarted.asp