Uppermark vs Schweser

Not planning on being in the industry, just good for general knowledge. Whats your background HK3, how long have you been in the industry?

Frankly, I pursue the CAIA program for knowledge and interest more than career benefits. I am a real estate guy in Hong Kong, and you cfacowtown?

Pursuing CFA to give myself an added skill set and assurance in financial planning for high net worth clients. Overall the knowledge is the key goal, the letters are just a by-product of the work…forced discipline if you will. I am in Calgary, Canada…Hong Kong real estate sounds profitable.

forced discipline - I like this term :slight_smile: Profitability - it is all about demand and supply after all. We learnt from the hard-hit of Asian financial crsis last decade.

To all of those that switched from Schweser for Level 1 to Uppermark for Level 2: Why did you make the transition? What is your feedback? Are you glad that you made the switch? Thanks!

HK3, So you’re based in HK now? What’s the alternative investment space in HK/China, other than RE, looks like? I know the Lehman thing have caused havoc and mistrust among retail investors in the so-called structured products. Anyway, do you think the CAIA designation may help in locating work in HK/China? I believe CAIA designation is still a rather rare breed in Asia.

peteus, Direct real estate market in Hong Kong is quite mature with relative transparent information. Both leasing and sales markets have been hard-hit in the past 12 months, with shinking investor confidence and quest for cash and liquidity. Indirect real estates are somehow highly correlated to the stock market and slumps. The REIT market here is in its infact stage and all except one have been trading at significant discount to NAV ever since their listing. No need to mention about structured products - CDOs, CDS have created phobia everywhere and not only in Hong Kong. CAIA designation is yet to be very popular in Hong Kong but is gradually catching attention. But I don’t think it helps much in securing jobs in the AI or finance industry yet. Interesting enough, I have heard of some finance guys pursuing this program as a substitute of CFA for its relatively ease in completion - 2 levels of exams, as fast as 1 year to complete, less studying lead-time for each level. I am not in this camp, however.

HK3, Thanks for sharing the insight on the latest in HK. I thought I may try my luck coming to HK/Asia looking for work in the AI space, oh well … >I have heard of some finance guys pursuing this program as a substitute of CFA … I’m interesting in pursuing the CAIA because I’ve worked in the structured finance space for years already. It would complement my background better. I’ve looked into CFA as well. But I agree it just takes too long to get one. But above all else, I’ve found it basically repeats most of what I’ve learned back in the graduate business school days, at least for most of level 1 and 2. I just don’t want to waste the time and money trying to refresh my memory.

peteus, Are you specialized in real estate or other AI specialties? I am of the view that HK / Asia needs AI investment professionals, just the CAIA designation does not at this stage makes a material difference in getting a place here. On the other hand, CFA is more popular and many HKies / Mainlanders are jumping into the CFA program. But then it comes the potential problem of over-supply. I have completed my CFA program first before the CAIA one. Looking back, the former was really a serious commitment, heavier than CAIA. Frankly I am amazed by my will power at that time LOL

HK3, My specialty is in Structured Finance/Securitization. I realize this is not a very matured field in HK or Asia in general. And the Lehman fiasco has put a bad rap on the whole subject that has the word “structured” on it! I hope the CAIA can help me to broaden my skills into other AI fields, like RE, hedge funds and others. But again the financial crisis has put a damper on the hedge fund business as well. Btw, do you speak any Chinese at all?

That’s a good approach to target peteus325. I doubt the CAIA has the prominence right now to set you apart from other candidates in a significant way, but the added skills sure will if you have a chance to apply them.

peteus, I fully agree with cfacowtown. One’s exposure, skill-set and personality distinguishes him / her for success far more than designations. And in fact - I am a Honkie and speak perfect Chinese (good English as well). So are you from the US?

HK3, I was originally come from HK but have moved to the states for a very long time. I would like to move back to HK/Asia - not just because of the current financial crisis. But unfortunately the fixed-income or SF/Securitization field is never as developed as it is in the states or EU, so there are only very limited opportunities for me. And I agree that the CAIA designation probably won’t help me much in that regard either. Btw, do you speak fluent Manadain as well? I think the capital market in China/Shanghai presents good opportunities going forward, but you better be local chinese or have unique skills that they require.

HK3, btw mind I ask what field are you working in now in HK?

peteus, I speak a bit of mandarin, and I agree that it is one of the essential req for entering into PRC market. I am in indirect real estate.

Sorry for being ignorant, but what exactly is indirect RE? Do you mean REIT?

peteus, mind to pass me your email for further chat?

Sure HK3. My email address is petenaff @ yahoo.com. You’ll find me on the YM sometime as well.

HK3, would you like to give me your email address too?

peteus, thanks and have just sent you an email. let’s chat there.