Uptick Rule

Who feels that the removal fo the uptick rule made this situation worse? I do!

yeah, I’ll second that and all the other regulations that were “loosened” … amazing how the greed of the wall street could have ‘forced’ regulators to soften … SEC should go down too with the rating agencies … where were they in all of this other than loosen the rules to allow for some of the most reckless trading ever … man, this was all meant to be.

“made the situation worse” is not a very strong indictment. It couldn’t have made the situation any better, but the uptick rule is about #47 on the culprits list here.

Obviously they would have never lost billions of dollars on securitized debt if it weren’t for the uptick rule. That makes perfect sense.

I don’t think the uptick rule is the culprit. Look what happened when the SEC made it’s “emergency order” with pre-borrows on financials a month ago- the stocks wound up no better off. Uptick rule, pre-borrows, etc… I feel like these are minor forces. This stuff is major.

Yeah but you get no-uptick rule plus leverage and you can have some serious downside pressure really quick by HFs.

Well there is an easy solution to that, reduce the leverage.

bigwilly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah but you get no-uptick rule plus leverage and > you can have some serious downside pressure really > quick by HFs. Yep, the hedge funds did this. C’mon - hedge funds didn’t do this, billions of $ in losses on lousy classes of securities did this.