US Airways Passenger

This man should be arrested. Granted, it involves religion and is a touchy subject, but he knows better. Take a different flight or run it by the flight attendants beforehand. You have to be an idiot to strap small black boxes to your head and arm during a flight. Absolutely this man should be charged with something. It may have been a false alarm, but he knew the reaction it would get. Geez. PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) – A US Airways passenger plane was diverted to Philadelphia on Thursday after a religious item worn by a Jewish passenger was mistaken as a bomb, Philadelphia police said. A passenger was alarmed by the phylacteries, religious items which observant Jews strap around their arms and heads as part of morning prayers, on the flight from New York’s La Guardia airport heading to Louisville. “Someone on the plane construed it as some kind of device,” said officer Christine O’Brien, a spokeswoman for the Philadelphia police department. No one was arrested or charged, O’Brien said. The plane landed without incident and the passengers and crew were taken off the plane, a spokesman for US Airways said. Phylacteries, called tefillin in Hebrew, are two small black boxes with black straps attached to them. Observant Jewish men are required to place one box on their head and tie the other one on their arm each weekday morning.

Based on the pictures of phylacteries on wiki, I can certainly see how someone might mistake them as some type of bomb. Kind of surprised he made it through security with no problems.

Maybe he assumed that people would be familiar with a Jewish cultural item. Obviously, that was not the case, but this just seems like an innocent misunderstanding to me.

Can’t wait to here everyone’s favourite AF racist’s thoughts on this one ‘mattlikeshitler’

^I agree with Walrus. I think he should have been given a chance to explain himself before the plane was diverted and landed.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Maybe he assumed that people would be familiar > with a Jewish cultural item. Obviously, that was > not the case, but this just seems like an innocent > misunderstanding to me. I’ve never seen these before in my life. I would have certainly tackled him if i saw him put those things on during the flight.

F juice

I just saw the pics too. This dude is lucky he didn’t get shot by an officer in the airport.

packattack4 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve never seen these before in my life. I would > have certainly tackled him if i saw him put those > things on during the flight. I understand. I’m just saying that people have different perceived cultural norms. Maybe where the Jewish guy comes from, everyone has those boxes so he thought they would not be a big deal. Then predictably, people who are not used to those items reacted in a way that he had not anticipated. If this was the case, then it’s not anyone’s fault in particular.

Its just a stupid misunderstanding. Noone wouldve cared about this stuff pre all the recent terrorism crap. The guy didnt think of that, so situation above occured. Sh’t happens, deal with it. Noone was hurt in the end, and tahts the main thing

adavydov7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^I agree with Walrus. I think he should have been > given a chance to explain himself before the plane > was diverted and landed. How exactly do you approach someone who you think has a bomb strapped to his body and ask him to explain himself?