US News 2010 Ranks out

1 Harvard University Boston, MA 1 Stanford University Stanford, CA 3 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) Cambridge, MA 4 Northwestern University (Kellogg) Evanston, IL 5 University of Chicago (Booth) Chicago, IL 5 University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) Philadelphia, PA 7 Dartmouth College (Tuck) Hanover, NH 7 University of California–Berkeley (Haas) Berkeley, CA 9 Columbia University New York, NY 9 New York University (Stern) New York, NY 11 Yale University New Haven, CT 12 University of Michigan–Ann Arbor (Ross) Ann Arbor, MI 13 University of Virginia (Darden) Charlottesville, VA 14 Duke University (Fuqua) Durham, NC 15 University of California–Los Angeles (Anderson) Los Angeles, CA 16 Carnegie Mellon University (Tepper) Pittsburgh, PA 16 University of Texas–Austin (McCombs) Austin, TX 18 Cornell University (Johnson) Ithaca, NY 19 Washington University in St. Louis (Olin) St. Louis, MO 20 University of Southern California (Marshall) Los Angeles, CA 21 Ohio State University (Fisher) Columbus, OH 21 University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler) Chapel Hill, NC 23 Indiana University–Bloomington (Kelley) Bloomington, IN 24 Georgetown University (McDonough) Washington, DC 24 University of Minnesota–Twin Cities (Carlson) Minneapolis, MN http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings

wow, Wharton got edged out by 2 schools. I thot the top 3 were always H/S/W. On the other hand, is there any value to these rankings? What about the ones with BW, FT, or the economist?

I haven’t seen the print or expanded version of these rankings, but have heard that employment rate for graduation was an important factor. So, while I haven’t seen the hard data yet, I’m wondering if Wharton being ranked at #5 has something to do with their students holding out for job offers in finance when there weren’t that many jobs to be had…

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m wondering if Wharton being ranked at #5 has > something to do with their students holding out > for job offers in finance when there weren’t that > many jobs to be had… that’s most likely correct - they’re a huge finance/ib school and that industry wasn’t hiring over the past two years. the banks had been just letting analyst classes go and not even making campus visits.

Actually from what I recall from my visit to Wharton this past winter, all the big banks continued to visit campus (as they did for the other top 5-7 schools)…there weren’t any big banks that skipped out on hiring associate classes. However, it was the hiring for PE/HF that got a lot more competitive and people thinking that they could just go from arbitrary field to PE/HF without having prior finance experience, despite a top MBA, that ended up having to wait things out.

Ugly, both school in my state, GA, got knocked down 5 spots.

Nice

A friend of mine sent me the score ratings too, which are as follows: School                               Score 1.  Harvard                        100 1.  Stanford                       100 3.  MIT                               94 4.  Northwestern                  93 5.  Chicago                          92 5.  Penn                              92 7.  Dartmouth                      89 7.  Berkeley                         89 9.  Columbia                        86 9.  NYU                               86 11.  Yale                             85 12.  Michigan                       82 13.  Virginia                         81 14.  Duke                            80 15.  UCLA                            78 16.  Carnegie Mellon             76 16.  University of Texas         76 18.  Cornell                          75 19.  WashU in St. Louis         72 20.  USC                              70 I basically think about the U.S. rankings in terms of groupings, so it might go something like this: Stanford, Harvard MIT, Kellogg, Wharton, Chicago Dartmouth, Berkeley Columbia, NYU, Yale …etc. Obviously rankings are subjective but I was wondering how other people here thought about them. Specifically, I was curious to see that Columbia tied with NYU, and Haas was ranked higher than both. Also, Yale appears to be moving up.

Yale was 9 or 10 last year

H/S/W MIT, Kellog, C Haas, Dartmouth, Columbia, Yale, Rest.

This is an overall B School ranking right? (not just finance programs)

Correct – NYU is 3rd on their finance specialty rankings, ahead of H/S/CBS and a lot of other finance powerhouses.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Obviously rankings are subjective but I was > wondering how other people here thought about > them. Specifically, I was curious to see that > Columbia tied with NYU, and Haas was ranked higher > than both. Also, Yale appears to be moving up. Berkeley has been holding steady above NYU/Columbia for the past few years. http://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/03/us-news-releases-annual-b-schools-rankings-harvard-and-stanford-tie-for-first/ *edit* Here’s 2010 rankings (new one is 2011) http://www.mbapursuit.com/us-news-business-school-rank-2010

I would put MIT in a league of its own. Who would not want to be a Sloany?

Columbia would be a lot higher if it was a ranking for the asset management industry.

That’s nice to hear because their value investor program is really appealing for me. former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Columbia would be a lot higher if it was a ranking > for the asset management industry.

all the top 20 schools will absolutely help you get a good job…and its just for that first job then the candidate shines and thats how the true “rankings” are determined IMO. just because you went to a great school doesnt mean you’ll be a great manager.