USD and CAD will hit parity by end of week??

This is what a few analysts have reported. It’s time to take a trip down to the factory outlets in buffalo.

Dammit. No more Canadian ski trips at 30% discounts thanks to the Canadian Peso.

I went to a bachelor party in Windsor last weekend, I miss the old days.

Ah yes, I remember the good ole days of heading across the water to Windsor and getting nice discounts. Companies would advertise in Detroit papers, “Come to Windsor, where your dollar is worth 1.50 CAD!”

My last reason to ever step foot in Canada again will be gone. Good bye forever North Mexico.

yup, I’m heading to New Hampshire again soon, dollar at par or better by then, no sales tax in “live free or die”. Can’t wait. After the bargins I got labour day weekend, woo hoo!

It is interesting that Japanese and Chinese still manage to sell us their products for the cheap. Otherwise, we will all in deep sh!t

ymc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It is interesting that Japanese and Chinese still > manage to sell us their products for the cheap. > Otherwise, we will all in deep sh!t That too could be changing, with a rising standard of living, rising salaries and stricter quality control ( e.g lead paint), those products might not be as cheap.

What you said is true about China. But what about Japan? How can they continue to sell their cars and electronic products (e.g. PS3, digicam, etc) cheap here?

I love in canada, and I dont find japanese products cheap at all. Cars maybe, but did you know that Honda for example has moved manufacturing to 3rd world countries. One example is mexico, which now allows them to trade under NAFTA

But Mexico doesn’t have currency control, so Japanese cars made there should be more expensive over the years but they are not. PS3s were made only in Japan but their US and JP prices remain similar over the years.

but how do you figure PS3’s are made cheap? what are you comparing them to?

If you compare the price in Japan and US at launch the price now in two countries, then you find that they are still similar. This shouldn’t happen because USD depreciated considerably since then.

It’s like going into a chapters bookstore and looking at the back of the book i bought, its actually right in front of me… one up on wall street by peter lynch U.S $15.00/ Can $21.00 Does that seem fair to you? No, but probably when the book was published it was.

whats not fair? just come to the states, buy a few books and then re-sell them up there. that’ll show 'em.

how about the price of OJ and other CPG goods. I worked in a large CPG company this year in Canada. We had a upside from operations all year, but it was all due to FX upside, as we did not adjust any prices and took the rising US dollar when we reported our results to the US parent in NYC. Canadian goods are still 15% index higher I would say in most major retailors and stores.

You think OJ is going down for this burglary thing?

IH8FSA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s like going into a chapters bookstore and > looking at the back of the book i bought, its > actually right in front of me… > > one up on wall street by peter lynch U.S $15.00/ > Can $21.00 > > Does that seem fair to you? No, but probably when > the book was published it was. Yuppers, FIFO.

ymc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > But Mexico doesn’t have currency control, so > Japanese cars made there should be more expensive > over the years but they are not. PS3s were made > only in Japan but their US and JP prices remain > similar over the years. prices are sticky, do you expect them to change their prices often enough to keep in line with currency fluctuations? screw that id just pocket the difference, what power do consumers have?

we’re getting closer! I’m holding on buying my schweser notes until they fix their exchange rate discrepecny! USD 881 vs CAD 956??? I don’t f’n think so!