Useful calculator tricks

After reading the post about covariance calculations on the BAII Plus, it got me thinking of other things I should be learning to do on it. Right now I just use the tvm/bond calcs, IRR, and NPV. So what else is worthwhile learning how to do? Explanations on how not needed, just the name of the function.

AMORT for bond amortization (can’t do this yet) CF for dividend discount model (can barely do this yet) DEPR for depreciation hmm

CF is CRUCIAL - make sure you learn that before the exam

What’s the post link for the one on covariance?

http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?11,734609

Does anyone know any useful tricks on the HP-12C? Please post if you do. Thanks!

The coolest trick you can do with the the HP-12C is to throw it away and go buy a BAII Plus Professional. If that’s not an option, then here are a few manuals that might help for the 12C: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00363319.pdf - User Guide h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00367123.pdf - Solutions Handbook Here is the manual for BA II Plus: http://education.ti.com/guidebooks/financial/baiiplus/BAIIPLUSGuidebook_EN.pdf

kant Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The coolest trick you can do with the the HP-12C > is to throw it away and go buy a BAII Plus > Professional. That’s probably the greatest suggestion I’ve heard. I don’t know why some people will spend more money for complicated, not-so-user-friendly calculator, when you can get the BAII plus professional for almost half off–check the prices on amazon. One out of every 500 people know what RPN is. HP has always been the odd ball when it comes to calculators. Whether it’s graphing, scientific, or financial calculators, TI always does the job right.

Anyone have to replace their batteries yet?

No not yet. I just spent almost $5 at Wal-Mart today on the CR2032 batteries in preparation for next week. What’s funny is my old BAII plus has had the same battery in it for a very long time. Probably 5-6 years at minimum. The battery in my BAII Pro is from November (when I bought the calculator), so I’m not so sure if I’ll even need the new batteries.

do we need need a screwdriver as well (as it lists it in the materials we’re allowed to have on our desks)

for the baii pro, you don’t need a screwdriver. it’s really easy to change the batteries.

my battery died yesterday, I had to buy one this morning I wasn’t even planning to change it before the exam, so for €5, do urself a favor and change the battery before the exam. U don’t want to be waisting time during the exam with a screwdriver anyway…

gdiddy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kant Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > The coolest trick you can do with the the > HP-12C > > is to throw it away and go buy a BAII Plus > > Professional. > > That’s probably the greatest suggestion I’ve > heard. > > I don’t know why some people will spend more money > for complicated, not-so-user-friendly calculator, > when you can get the BAII plus professional for > almost half off–check the prices on amazon. One > out of every 500 people know what RPN is. > > HP has always been the odd ball when it comes to > calculators. Whether it’s graphing, scientific, > or financial calculators, TI always does the job > right. Sorry, I would disagree here. I’m probably in the minority, but I’ll offer another opinion on the HP12-C. I used the BA2 Plus in business school and I’m currently studying with someone using that calculator as well. It does take time to get used to, but now that I’ve become accustomed to it, I complete calculations more quickly and more accurately than my study partner. HP12C blows the BA2 Plus out of the water on complex calculations. That’s not to say that there aren’t drawbacks, but about the only one of any significance that I’ve found so far is that it does not have built in nCr and nPr funcitionality, but that’s a minor nuisance. Now that I’m used to the RPN, I don’t think I could ever go back to the standard-type calculator. But, I don’t fault anyone for sticking with what you are comfortable with - ultimately, that’s the most important thing. But, before you criticize so harshy, you really need to give it more of a chance than just the quick 5 minute trial. -Stillwagon

agreed with stillwagon. Once you learn to use RPN you absolutely cant use a regular calculators with simple display. If the BA2plus had dual display, I may consider it. the BA2plus’s list form for CF, Amort and stats is quite easy to input but then again, you could do the calculations twice on HP12 C by the time you’ve inputed the data on the BA2+ That is not to say i dont like the BA2+'s simplicity, just can’t use it without RPN. using Amort, you can calculate PMT and Principal repayments on bonds or loans i’d work on learning CF’s but there arent many such questions from my understanding. and Stats… you can solve sigma and Mu easily in a few seconds so you’d save time on the exam. Depreciation will be a time saver as well. TI has a video tutorial website… all these can be found there and learned within minutes as for HP12 users… i’m sure you already know how to do them… they’re on the back of the calculator cheers Joe

I also use the HP-12C, and I agree it is a lot quicker. I did buy the platinum, which also give you the ALG option, for those that don’t like RPN for some problems.

Stillwagon152 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Sorry, I would disagree here. I’m probably in the > minority, but I’ll offer another opinion on the > HP12-C. I used the BA2 Plus in business school > and I’m currently studying with someone using that > calculator as well. It does take time to get used > to, but now that I’ve become accustomed to it, I > complete calculations more quickly and more > accurately than my study partner. HP12C blows the > BA2 Plus out of the water on complex calculations. > That’s not to say that there aren’t drawbacks, > but about the only one of any significance that > I’ve found so far is that it does not have built > in nCr and nPr funcitionality, but that’s a minor > nuisance. > > Now that I’m used to the RPN, I don’t think I > could ever go back to the standard-type > calculator. But, I don’t fault anyone for > sticking with what you are comfortable with - > ultimately, that’s the most important thing. But, > before you criticize so harshy, you really need to > give it more of a chance than just the quick 5 > minute trial. > > -Stillwagon Power to you. I don’t agree with everything you say, but you are right on one thing: you’re in the minority. There will always be followers for the 12C.