usefulness of CFA to gain a finance manager/CFO role?

im doing the CFA to assist me in obtaining a financials controller (eventually CFO) type role within financial services. I cant justify the many thousands an MBA costs, although I know it would probably be slightly more useful than a course focusing on finance/portfolio mgmgt/valuation like the CFA does. fyi im currently working as an accounting/tax mgr at a large ibank and am a qualified CA (CPA for the Americans). has anyone else taken a similar approach – or successfully made such a move? thanks

I’m not sure how helpful this post is going to be, but my brother started in Tax in big 4 , got his CA, worked up to a Manager, then left and got overseas experience in Audit, then came back and got a Financial Controller job, and is currently studying the “Charterd Secretary” designation with a view of either moving to Secretary or CFO some time in the future. So basically, Tax / Audit experience, CA and maybe the ‘Chartered Secretary’ designation would be helpful…moreso then CFA…in my opinion :slight_smile:

I have not made such a move, but I worked for this mining company in Perth(an ASX 100) where the CFO had CA/CFA/MBA, so its possible. The MBA is still useful though.

"either moving to Secretary or CFO " I must have a different image or secretary.

JOE2010 are you still in Perth???

aussie_jaco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JOE2010 are you still in Perth??? Yes I am.

thepinkman Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > "either moving to Secretary or CFO " > > I must have a different image or secretary. Yes, you have a wrong view about the secretary, probably you are talking of a receptionist. In most instances, a CFO doubles up as the Company Secretary of the company - in charge of compliance, corporate governance and liaisons with the Stock Exchange. But some company’s have a general counsel for that. The Chartered Secretary certification is needed for that.

Joe it is good to see that there are a couple of Perth based guys on the board, though I am not Perth based at the moment, but will soon be returning to the motherland and the sandy beaches of WA.

your a CA, i dont think CFA would add much to that sort of position. maye a little of course. But having a CA is bloody great, waay better then CFA in my opinion, so you should be pretty proud of that

aussie_jaco Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Joe it is good to see that there are a couple of > Perth based guys on the board, though I am not > Perth based at the moment, but will soon be > returning to the motherland and the sandy beaches > of WA. Good on you mate, we will hook up some day. Good luck in your exam.

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > your a CA, i dont think CFA would add much to that > sort of position. maye a little of course. > > But having a CA is bloody great, waay better then > CFA in my opinion, so you should be pretty proud > of that interesting to hear comments like that. CA is probly more useful in getting a job in the current mkt. CA is a breeze compared to the CFA in my opinion though!

Really? I consistently hear that CA is tougher from people who have both a CA and CFA charters.

Really? I consistently hear that CA is tougher from people who have both a CA and CFA charters.

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Really? I consistently hear that CA is tougher > from people who have both a CA and CFA charters. The CA exams (in Aust) are: * Open book * 3 hours long * Only need 50% to pass * Less volume of material * Have the option of a supplementary exam if you only just fail I wish the CFA exams were like that !

Pure entertainment! In India, CA is for high school pass outs. CFA is post-grad program.

Indian CA is not part of the other one, so cant really compare it But at least aussie CA really shows a lot of commitment, and you have to be at an authorised employer etc, its much more controlled i think. It really does have a lot mre respect in the financial world, and is perfect for finance manager etc type position, most of the people in these positions in australia id say have CA. I wish I could do it, but im in denmark so cant, so CFA will have to do for me