Using cfa designation

As of monday I will be using CFA on all of my email’s. Will post back if I get any notification from CFA that i can’t use it.

you’re clearly an idiot

“emails”; plurals don’t have apostrophes.

Looking forward to an e-mail from you.

cat fancier guy

Analysist. Dude, do you even spell?

My thoughts exactly.

Why did anyone respond to this? The original post was his first under this username - hence the troll video.

You might not be able to see it, but it is. It doesn’t matter if you’re a cat fancier, commercial financier, chief financial analyst, or anything else you can think of that would use CFA as an acronym. If you put the acronym CFA after your name and you are not a charterholder, you have committed copy right infringement.

let’s stop feeding the troll people.

Thanks for the defnite answer.

The possible consequence is probably getting sued but how do they even find out? unless you use the CFA charter and got into a very big finance scandal with high publicity… THEN you may be questioned by CFAI.

and how about not behind your name but just on your resume under Education?

^ All it takes is one person to decide to look them up in the directory and then report them to CFAI. As far-fetched as that might sound, it happens all the time. There’s even a thread on here dealing with someone turning in a job applicant who said she was a L2 candidate or something like that she hadn’t registered for an exam in a couple of years.

Any use of a registered trademark without permission to do so is illegal.

It takes zero resources to verify whether you are actually a charterholder or not. Anyone can visit the CFAI website and serach for a member by name and location. If you are indeed a charterholder the search result shows the date you were awarded your charter. Also, as other have stated, the CFA mark is copyrighted and you can be prosecuted. I suggest you look up the statues where you live to find out the penalty. Better yet, how about doing the work and earning the right to use the letters.

I didn’t know you could look up members at any time. I looked up two “Charterholders” I had met at networking events. One verbally said it, but I never saw reference to it. The other had it on his business card. I couldn’t find either by searching for their names. I assume the list is complete. LOL? Do people lie about who they are at networking events to sound cool or reciprocate the fact a young person says they’re doing it?

Note: One works for Bank of America and the other UBS in NYC. So they’re not complete fakes, but might be fibbing?

^ How long ago was that? The search function used to be pretty basic and if you didn’t search for their exact name you wouldn’t find them. It even used to be case sensitive. If you searched recently though, it’s pretty easy to find someone.

I literally just tried after I saw it was a possible function. I met and spoke to them both within the past year.

^ Very possible that they’re lying then. As a candidate, you have a responsibility to report them to CFAI.

I disagree. I think this shuld be a last resort. First, you should just tell them to stop. If they don’t, then I’d consider reporting them.

And if they are not candidates, nor have ever joined a society, does CFAI has any jurisdiciton over them? They can’t fine them. They can suspend them from…what? They could take them to court and have a judge issue a cease and desist order. But do you really think they’ll go that far?

“CFA Institute encourages members, nonmembers, clients, and the investing public to report violations of the Code and Standards by CFA Institute members or CFA candidates by submitting a complaint in writing to the CFA Institute Professional Conduct Program: E-mail pconduct@cfainstitute.org or visit the CFA Institute website at www.cfainstitute.org. “

Well it makes no sense to report or approach a guy who just claimed to be something verbally over drinks in an informal setting. The other guy was clearly representing he was one such thing, but the cfa site says another.

And here’s the thing as well, when you look someone up and it’s not on the CFAI website, you also give them the benefit of the doubt that they may have register CFA with a different name, say you know someone by “Ben Anderson” and he actually registered with “Benjamin Rupert Anderson” and therefore you cannot find him?