Using cfa designation

That used to be the case, but the search engine now is very flexible.

Would the use of “CFA” on a vanity license plate constitute a violation of the Standards of Professional Conduct?

Not much you can do about the guy who only made a verbal representation, but the guy who has it on his card is pretty easy to report because you have his card. For those candidates who think reporting him is a d!ck thing to do, think about it next year when you’re studying on Labor Memorial Day weekend and that dude is out there reaping the benefits of your hard work.

Only if you add > MBA.

don’t you mean Memorial Day weekend?

Yes, the search engine used to be terrible. I remember not being able to find 2 of 4 PM’s I used to be work for… and was wondering if my fund would implode one day.

But it’s far better now.

Might depend on how it’s used:

Maybe he starts studying uncommonly early.

It is unlikely that the original poster would be sued for using CFA after his name. CFAI website has a list of disciplinary actions. There was a guy who behaved unprofessionally and sent improper pictures to CFAI when the inquired about his behavior.

Long story short, they took away his charter. But the guy kept using CFA after his name. He is no longer a charter holder. CFAI did not go after him for that; they did not care about him using the acronym once they had taken the charter away. Why would they care if someone else would do it?

Yes, sorry. I have Labor Day on my mind.

Generally, what CFAI can do is post on their website your name and list you as an offender. I have not actually heard of them having lawyers sue you and try to claim damages or anything like that.

Just an FYI. That list is not comprehensive - so you basically must e-mail the CFAI if you want to confirm if someone is a charterholder.

"Thank you for your email and concern.

I can confirm that XX is a CFA charterholder and member of CFA Institute. Please note that participation in the membership directory is optional for our members."

^ Thanks. I had no idea you could opt-out of the online registry. I’m not sure why someone would not want to be listed, but to each his own. Also, kudos to you for checking on him.

That’s my point. The CFAI is not the sheriff. They can’t really “do” anything to you if you’re not a member or candidate. The best they can do is order you to stop, if they want to go through the legal hassle. If they don’t, they’ll just put you on the “liar liar pants on fire” list–which nobody will ever check anyway, probably.

True, but your reputation would be shot in any industry that values the charter. If you’re in an industry that doesn’t value the charter, why claim it in the first place? I imagine you could also face fraud charges if you represented yourself as a charterholder to attract investors.

Many so called “investment advisors” just buy one of the lesser designations. It enhances their credibility and avoids any legal issues with CFAI or the CFP Board.

100% agree with this. I’d check with CFAI on it if I ran into that kind of situation. Like others said though, the list is not comprehensive so be nice when you check.

“343 CFA” - a violation?

It’s a direct reference to the CFA Program (and not the Cat Fancier’s Association), but it could be a statement of fact for some charterholders.

Does it pass the “dignified and judicious” test?

Here’s an idea: get that license plate, slap it on your car, send a photo to CFA Institute, and ask them what they think.

We eagerly await the outcome.

There are copy right/trademark protection companies that can track you down. They are on it 24/7. Don’t create unnecessary headaches for yourself.