using FRM letters

I just recently got an email that I can use FRM letters. My GARP membership is expiring in June. Do I need to pay (renew) membership in order to use FRM letters further? or it just ok to stop paying fee and be Certified FRM.

You have an annuity… You need to pay for the rest of your life to use the letters…

On garp site, in frm members faq they state that there is no requirements to pay for using frm letters. But in this year they plan to introduce ‘voluntary’ contingous professional education which is not for free. Also in the marketing materials on some risk conference there are different reduced fee for ‘fee paying’ frm holders.

yeah, that’s my problem with getting all these different types of designations… David, FSA, CFA, CAIA, FRM that’ll cost me well over 1 grand if i pursue all of those. (well, at least i’m holding off on my actuarial exams for now).

and that’s like 1 grand EVERY SINGLE YEAR! f*ck, that’s a lot of $

I am thinking that we can stop paying garp membership dues because it is clearly stated in frm members faq that we can use frm designation without paying further fees. By the way if i will be required to pay any additional $ i incline to drop the letters.

Whats’s FSA?

FSA = Fellow of the Society of Actuaries

pricy

At a five percent discount rate, 1000 a year has a present value of 20,000. If the present value of increased compensation is greater than that, then go for it.

you can’t use a perpetuity for that; we aren’t immortals

Present value of FRM for me is something like 3000-5000 $.

I find it hard to believe that you could use the FRM letters without paying your annual dues.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I find it hard to believe that you could use the > FRM letters without paying your annual dues. As i understand there is $150 fee for membership in garp which is not mandatory for using frm.

My understanding is that you have to pay dues (I believe this is in excess of the $150 annual fee they automatically charge to your credit card each year). But, like with all exams…not too many people are going to care if you keep up with your dues…it matters that you pass…

Do they really charge it automatically to you credit card each year? Sounds a unethical to me, as I never a greed to it.

2 Jaffels automatical charge can be cancelled somewhere in settings. It is also unclear what dues are mandatory from materials which i got with FRM certificate.

I had to call those bastards to cancel my membership…you get membership included when you buy the exam…so last year they just took it out of the exam fees…not this year…they just credit the fees to next year’s membership…had to call them a few times and send several emails to finally get things straight… I wouldn’t be suprised if the FRM is a ponzi scheme run from Madoff’s prison cell.

So FInforLIL, do you think I need to pay smth like $150 for FRM due and $150 for GARP membership? And is $150 for membership in GARP optional?

Alright… seems like FSA is still the most superior as it comes to the first. I am only up to AIAA (Australian Associate Actuary) and completed CFA L3 last year. This year I am gonna do FRM. I’ve got a friend who has done everything… FIA (UK), CFA, FRM, CAIA, PRM, etc. Only doing exams can fulfil his dream. But he is working on his family business on property trading… completely irrelevant.