UW ASAP program or one like it

Hows it going all. I have been reading this forum for some time but never posted. I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I passed level 1 in Dec. and taking level 2 in June. Then I need to decide what my next steps should be. I am one of the many struggling to get into an ER or AM job. I have been in financial services since graduating in 2007 but always in sales. Those d*** financial advisor interviews make it sound like you can be a millionaire by 35 if you have some brains and a personality. Then you slowly realize you have to pimp out all of your friends and family to do it. Anyways, do you guys think it would be worth getting through level 2 and then going for an MBA at the Wisconsin ASAP program or one like it? I don’t believe I will be able to get into a Top 10 MBA even with killer GMAT scores. I got a 3.0 in economics at The University of Arizona and don’t have amazing work experience. I guess on that note, do you guys think I could get into a program like Wisconsin’s with my past and really good GMAT scores.

Have you thought about MBA programs on the coasts? Universities near financial centers tend to have better recruiting and alumni networks in finance.

Financial advising out of college… I almost got suckered into that. Most of them are like chop shop operations, you start by listing all your friends/relatives/ppl you know with their salaries. and then try to sell them those equity life insurance packages, and persuade them to hand over their money. Once you exhausted your network, they give you some high quota to meet or they kick you out. The few who can eek it out stay, most get kicked out. And they just keep cycling new people over and over again. It works especially well during the mass finance layoffs. you can make good money if you have a book of clients, but fresh out of college grad? run. away.

I can’t speak directly to Wisconsin’s ASAP, but I graduated from the McCombs MBA program last May and was an analyst for the MBA Investment Fund. I know that the Wisconsin program is very respected and we were interviewing against ASAP guys for virtually every analyst opportunity. My current boss (lead analyst) went through that program, so he could probably give you some insight if you’re seriously interested. Fwiw, a couple of my friends from the UT Fund had less than stellar undergrad GPAs (low 3s) but had above average GMAT scores. The essays are a very important piece as well.

Thanks for the responses. Ohai, I have thought about going to one of the west coast schools because I think I’ll end up in the bay area. I currently live in Chicago with my girlfriend who’s in a job that she says is to good to leave. So, it might take some of those valuable sales skills I have learned to get her to leave early. Any recommendation on schools that I should look at given my history? CFAI is a partner with USC and USF. Iteracom, you are spot on with your take on financial advising. It’s a pyramid scheme that works out great for the people at the top. Once the producers stop producing, they cycle them out and bring new ones in to go through their “natural market.” Don’t get me wrong though, it can turn into a great career if you have the right connections. jfdallas, it would be great to hear more about the McCombs program as well as the ASAP program. It seems like a way I can actually get some experience outside of the workforce if employers aren’t seeing me as a good candidate. Until then, I am building an equity research report with the help of someone that I guess is a mentor to me. He is a Co-CEO of JP Morgan Chase Capital. I’m hoping I can put something together to impress a recruiter. Also, I’m thinking about applying to private wealth jobs that may look more highly on a sales background. Anybody have any experience with private wealth/client roles?

cant ur mentor get u a job ?

Time will tell if he can get me a job or not. Just looking for some good advice and knowledge from him at this point. Just started meeting with him recently.

I was recently admitted to the UW ASAP. Admissions are very competitive as only 15 or so students are admitted each year. The average GMAT for that specific program is 690 and most people have pretty strong backgrounds…They have each student’s profile on their website if that helps at all…

Jon Dekker graduated in 2006 from Princeton University with a B.A. in Psychology. While at Princeton, Jon played four years of varsity football and one year of basketball. Following graduation, Jon played 3 years in the NFL, all with the Pittsburgh Steelers. As part of the 2008 team, Jon received a Super Bowl XLIII ring. During his professional football career, Jon began independently investing and researching securities, developing an interest and enthusiasm for finance that led him to the Wisconsin School of Business and Applied Security Analysis Program. In between football and business school, Jon worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney with fellow ASAP alum Craig Peterman. While at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, Jon received his Series 7 License. In his spare time, Jon enjoys playing guitar, listening to Pearl Jam, running, and playing basketball.

haha that sounds about the same as my background. Atleast the part about what I enjoy in my spare time. How much weight would getting something like a 730 on the GMAT carry. I am really just trying to figure out my options so I can do some career planning.

I would think a 730 and level 2 would go a long way.