Vail/Keystone

Anybody skiing this weekend? Will be there thurs, friday, saturday. Get some beers and such if you yahoos are around

i think i’ll be in vail at the end of march. if you have a beer waiting for me, i’ll totally get the next round

I’ll be in Aspen next weekend doing what I do best…tearing up the powder and getting crunk at night. Have fun on the slopes!

I was out at Keystone a few years ago, pretty fun. If you get the chance you should loop by A-Basin for a day, good snow there. BTW, I just bought some used K2 Apache Recon’s on ebay for $345 with bindings!!! Super pumped. I don’t think I’ll ever buy new skiis again (at least not current model) after seeing the deals floating around on there for used gear.

I hate you guys. Vail>Aspen>Breck>Beaver Creek>Copper>Keystone>A Basin

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hate you guys. > > Vail>Aspen>Breck>Beaver Creek>Copper>Keystone>A > Basin No way. Breck>Aspen, and you left out Crested Butte and Steamboat, which are easily better than the last 4 you mention. You are spot on w/Vail though.

You are all way off. Alta-Snowbird.

I’ve been Breck, Keystone, Copper, A-Basin, Steamboat, Crested Butte, Jackson and Whistler. Obviously Whistler gets #1. A-basin and Jackson have good challenging terrain, Jackson struggles with snow conditions though. Sometimes it can be pretty crappy. A-Basin is good but small. Crested Butte is pretty awesome all around, particularly if you’re ready to handle some pretty intense expert level off-piste. Steamboat I think gets the #1 US all around vote (of those I’ve been to) for snow, terrain mix, town, etc (with Whistler in #1 North American). Keystone and Copper were great, but didn’t stand out in my mind in any one way compared to the others I’ve been to. I haven’t been anywhere in Utah, Aspen, Vail or Tahoe, so I can’t speak to those. Likely they deserve a mention somewhere too. This list is also subjective in the sense that I tried to incorporate general views, but also am biased by my own particular experience at the time I was there.

Got back from CO today. Stayed with an AF member who lives near Denver. We hit Copper, Mary Jane and A-Basin. We skied 4 inches of fresh snow at Mary Jane and it continued to dump all day. The next day we got 9 at A-Basin. The snow was sick. AF really is about the “connect”.

Just got back from Telluride. It was pretty bitchin’. Vail is still my fav though… m

You guys are making me jealous. Sounds like AF should put together a ski team

Vail>>>>>everything else

LincolnLogs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You are all way off. Alta-Snowbird. Alta is pretty sick. Very different mountain range from the CO stuff. I would love to go there again.

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Vail>>>>>everything else Doesn’t touch Whistler.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wake2000 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Vail>>>>>everything else > > > Doesn’t touch Whistler. Was just at whistler a couple weeks ago. Someone told me Vail and whistler try to compete each year for who’s the biggest.

I don’t think either is the biggest (unless you count Whistler’s back country), but Whistler’s terrain and snow are unreal

mwvt9 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LincolnLogs Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > You are all way off. Alta-Snowbird. > > > Alta is pretty sick. Very different mountain > range from the CO stuff. I would love to go there > again. Solitude is the hidden gem in Utah. Nobody goes there but the terrain is pretty damn good. I like Alta (even with the old school lifts) because of the no snowboarding policy (at least last time I was there ~ '02). Vail > Whistler IMHO 'cause of the warmer weather, back bowls, and accessibility. However, you can’t really go wrong with either. m

Um, Whistler has miles more back bowls than Vail. I actually think Whistler has more moderate weather too, it’s much closer to Seattle in terms of climate. It may be mildly colder mid winter, but then you just exchange that for good April / May skiing when Vail has turned to garbage. Accessibility, I’ll give Vail that. Let me rephrase, if you’re a skiier first and a tourist second, Whistler is far and away the best skiing in North America. Once you start factoring in resort towns and amenities, it’s a different story.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Um, Whistler has miles more back bowls than Vail. > I actually think Whistler has more moderate > weather too, it’s much closer to Seattle in terms > of climate. It may be mildly colder mid winter, > but then you just exchange that for good April / > May skiing when Vail has turned to garbage. > Accessibility, I’ll give Vail that. > > Let me rephrase, if you’re a skiier first and a > tourist second, Whistler is far and away the best > skiing in North America. Once you start factoring > in resort towns and amenities, it’s a different > story. I pretty much learned to ski at Vail (and Keystone) on China bowl. Have been there on about 10 ski vacations to only 1 at Whistler. So, that could be why I like Vail better as well. It was noticeably colder in Whistler the same time of year as Vail. But like I said, that was only 1 year. Vail is super easy to get to (almost too easy) compared to Whistler. Anyway, you can’t really go wrong with either. Both have their pluses and minuses. I went skiing last week (at Telluride) for the first time in 3 years and first since post-ACL & meniscus tear. I had to take it easier this time around but still fun. Hoping to be able to actually hit the bumps next season. m

How is Vail compared to Tahoe? I want to make one of these two my next ski destination. I’ve vacationed in whistler 5 times and was only happy with the conditions once. Can’t beat the village though for apres ski. I went to Stowe for the first time over President’s Day wknd and had a hard time finding a patch of snow on that ice mountain! The second day was much better though so it was fun.