Valuations to ER transition

hey guys, I currently do valuations at a Hedge fund and am a level 2 candidate taking the exam in June. Do you guys think it would be difficult for me to transition over to ER with a few years experience after passing my L2? or do you think I would probably have to wait until i pass l3 and recieve my charter?

Would it not be possible for you to move into a junior analyst position at your hedge fund once you are done with Level III or even sooner? Or you like the sell-side ER role more? I did valuations for a Big 4 and then moved in an ER position – not a traditional way to get into ER. My timing was good.

I guess it would if there was one open but at the time there is nothing available. How long did you do valuations at a Big 4?

What does it mean to do valuations at a HF? Isn’t that more or less what ER is about (I know valuation isn’t everything in ER, but it is a fairly central part). If you want to do sell-side ER, then writing/presentation skills are more important. Not that they’re unimportant on the buy side, but on the buy side just have to be clear, as opposed to both clear and attractively presented.

sid3699 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Would it not be possible for you to move into a > junior analyst position at your hedge fund once > you are done with Level III or even sooner? > > Or you like the sell-side ER role more? > > I did valuations for a Big 4 and then moved in an > ER position – not a traditional way to get into > ER. My timing was good. Former colleague transitioned same way. Then again, that was 2 yrs ago when the economic landscape was different.

willchan11 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I guess it would if there was one open but at the > time there is nothing available. How long did you > do valuations at a Big 4? Three years. Valuations at Big 4 entails purchase price allocation/goodwill impairment testing/private company valuations/stock option valuations.

hobbes928 Wrote: Former colleague transitioned same way. Then again, that was 2 yrs ago when the economic landscape was different. Right place at the right time. Traditionally, and it still is, ER recruits are undergrads from top schools or MBAs from top schools or experienced ER associates.

Well im not from a top school and MBA is not in my plans for the near future so i guess ill just have to ride out this recession and see where the job markets are when things get a little better