Value guys

What do you make of this guy? You have to look at his screeners and spreadsheet tabs to comment. http://www.oldschoolvalue.com/

Thanks - I’m going to be playing with these spreadsheets all day now.

Yahoo Finance used to have pre-set screens like this, maybe they still do. I always found it funny that anyone would think they could find a unique idea by using a pre-set screen that thousands of other people were using.

I always wonder about that too. However, the things it finds on Monday may be different than the things it finds on Friday… if that’s true, you may be one of the first to act on the new stuff, which can add some value.

Sweep the Leg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yahoo Finance used to have pre-set screens like > this, maybe they still do. I always found it > funny that anyone would think they could find a > unique idea by using a pre-set screen that > thousands of other people were using. You could make the same argument about the Peter Lynch approach: millions of people have bought Coca Cola/McDonalds/Apple products, why do you think you have some sort of edge? Or about looking through the SEC filings of your favorite mangers. If it is public information everyone should have already acted on it by the time you have a chance to. Idea generation is one of those tricky things where there is no good way to go about it really. Nothing wrong with screening to narrow down some things, as long as you realize you aren’t going to uncover some holy grail of valuation by picking only from low P/E stocks or something.

I hope he reaches his goals.

“…value investing, automation and usability. Finding all three in the investment field is very rare. That is why I have taken it upon myself to help every retail investor” Oooooooooooo… “…ow living in Seattle with my wife and dog named Marshmallow” Ooooooooooo

Sweep the Leg Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yahoo Finance used to have pre-set screens like > this, maybe they still do. I always found it > funny that anyone would think they could find a > unique idea by using a pre-set screen that > thousands of other people were using. Do they have screens with the precise Graham formulas? I actually don’t like the output as you can’t see the variables you are testing for e.g. current ratio. But if it does what it says on the tin, it’s impressive.

CardShark Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I hope he reaches his goals. Good call.

BangBusDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “…ow living in Seattle with my wife and dog > named Marshmallow” > > Ooooooooooo Named his dog after his wife? That’s harsh.

Any value investor knows there isn’t a basic formula …i would not buy his product. no need for it if you’re really looking for value.