Variation Margin

With respect to Futures…I get Initial Margin and Maintenance Margin…wtf is Variation Margin and how does it figure in the futures account (with the clearing house)??

the amount of money you have to deposit after margin call i am not sure if it’s correct

Maintenance margin is a minimum level below which the margin account is not permitted to fall without a margin call. If the value of the margin accoutn falls below the maintenance margin, the trader will receiv a margin call to deposit additional funds. This addition amout is called “variation margin” and must be sufficient to bring the margin account balane back up to the initial margin requirement

good strangedays

strangedays Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Maintenance margin is a minimum level below which > the margin account is not permitted to fall > without a margin call. > If the value of the margin accoutn falls below the > maintenance margin, the trader will receiv a > margin call to deposit additional funds. This > addition amout is called “variation margin” and > must be sufficient to bring the margin account > balane back up to the initial margin requirement Isnt this what happen to Michael Douglas in the movie “A Perfect Murder” – he is CEO of a bond shop and makes a bad bet.

daj224 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > strangedays Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Maintenance margin is a minimum level below > which > > the margin account is not permitted to fall > > without a margin call. > > If the value of the margin accoutn falls below > the > > maintenance margin, the trader will receiv a > > margin call to deposit additional funds. This > > addition amout is called “variation margin” and > > must be sufficient to bring the margin account > > balane back up to the initial margin > requirement > > > Isnt this what happen to Michael Douglas in the > movie “A Perfect Murder” – he is CEO of a bond > shop and makes a bad bet. I dont know You should remember at which level was fixed the maintenance margin to know it